7th Grade Life Science
Mrs. Brown, M.S.
2019 - 2020
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPCOMING EVENTS
Hi All!! I have graded the final work for the year. Make sure to check your grades, complete missing work and email me to let me know which assignments need to be graded. I will not grade late/missing work without that email from you so don't forget that step. Your emails need to arrive in my inbox no later than WEDNESDAY 6/10 for your work to be graded.
I want to tell you all that you have done an AMAZING job during this shut-down!!!! I couldn't be more proud of you and the way you have handled this very difficult situation. You have earned your break this summer for sure.
Remember that Wednesday 6/10 is your day to turn in your Chromebook, textbooks, etc. and to pick up items like your yearbook as well as items that are in your lockers. Refer to the Agendas/Due Dates page of my teacher page for your scheduled time to be on campus (based on your last name). We are limiting the number of students allowed on campus so if you arrive outside of your scheduled time you will not be allowed to enter. You and your folks should also have received an email from Mrs. Hatton with this same information.
I will miss you all a ton so please stop by next year to let me know how 8th grade is going!! Oh, and I expect to hear only the best reports back from your teachers next year :)
Take care everyone!
Hi All! I know that the past couple of weeks have been difficult and the coming weeks seem like strange uncharted territory but we'll all get through this by sticking together as a community. Distance learning begins on Monday March 30th. For my class you can access and complete work by doing the following things:
- Check the Agendas/Due Dates tab on this website to view assignments, then...
- Go to Google Classroom to complete assignments
- If you have any questions or need help: Join my office hours on Zoom on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00am - 10:30am
- If you need help during non-office hours, send me questions through Remind.com or send me an email at email@example.com
If you are a legal guardian and would like to be added to your child's Google Classroom or would like to be added to my email list, please use this link to sign up: https://forms.gle/11WmCB52iVgfWTTE6
Please make sure that you come to class each day with the following materials:
- Composition book (provided by teacher)
- Pens and pencils
- Highlighter (any color will do)
- Chromebook (charged and ready to go - you may bring your charger and plug in during class)
- Agenda book (provided to you by the school)
- You will find a small supply of the following items in the classroom but if you would like to have your own or if you prefer a better selection of products, please plan on bringing them:
- Colored pencils
- Pencil sharpener
This year we will be diving into some really BIG IDEAS relating to life. Understanding these BIG IDEAS will help you better understand the world around you. Here are some of the BIG IDEAS that we'll explore:
- Living things can be similar but different
- Cells make up all living things
- Genetic material contains all of the instructions to make new living things
- Living things change over time
- The structure of living things (like the presence of wings, gills, large claws, and even color patterns) are related to specific functions
- In order to stay alive, living things have to maintain conditions inside of their bodies that don't change much (this is called homeostasis)
- Living things interact with their surroundings
We'll be following the Next Generation Science Standards (https://goo.gl/uFHjqi) so get ready for hands-on learning and scientific experimentation!!
All work is posted on Google Classroom. Some assignments will be submitted electronically through Google Classroom and others will be turned in on paper. I am available each Tuesday and Thursday during lunch if you need help or have any questions.
LATE WORK POLICY
I update the "Calendar - Agendas/Due Dates" page on this website daily. Please check often to make sure that you are aware of assignments as well as due dates. If you are absent and you miss a worksheet it is up to you to either print item from Google Classroom or to find the worksheet in the "Worksheets" bin in the back of our classroom. If you miss an electronic assignment just access it from Google Classroom as if you were in class. I am available each Tuesday and Thursday during lunch if you need help or have any questions.
If a student is absent (excused) submit work within 3 days of the absence with no penalty. If you are absent for multiple days please come talk to me so that we can determine an alternative due date. All other late work will be accepted with a penalty of 10% per day. If work is submitted more than 10 days late, late credit is not guaranteed but will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
When student behavior needs correction the following graduating steps of discipline will be followed:
- Step 1 - Informal verbal warning (the student will be asked to correct a specific behavior)
- Step 2 - Formal verbal warning (the student will be given a formal verbal warning that their behavior must be immediately corrected)
- Step 3 - Classroom lunch detention with parent email (10 minute detention during lunch on Tuesday or Thursday)
- Step 4 - Office referral (the student will be referred to the vice principal to begin progressive disciplinary actions and parents will be contacted)