7th Grade Life Science
Mrs. Brown, M.S.
2018 - 2019
- Upcoming quiz: You will take a quiz on Tuesday 2/19/19 covering the topics including Punnett Squares and Mendelian vs. Non-Mendelian Inheritance Patterns
- If a lab is assigned on the day(s) that you are absent it is your responsibility to come in during a lab makeup session on Mondays and Wednesdays during the lunch period. The lab must be made up on the Monday or Wednesday closest to your date of return to school.
- If you are absent you can find hard copy assignments of work that you missed in the blue bin near the back door of the classroom. Just find the folder for the day(s) that you missed and neatly remove the pages that you need.
Welcome to your 7th grade year here at Las Colinas!! In this classroom you will be learning how to think and work like a scientist while learning about the science of the life all around you. I look forward to working with each and every one of you!!
Please make sure that you come to class each day with the following materials:
- Composition book (provided by teacher)
- Pens and pencils
- Highlighter (any color will do)
- Chromebook (charged and ready to go - you may bring your charger and plug in during class)
- Agenda book (provided to you by the school)
- You will find a small supply of the following items in the classroom but if you would like to have your own or if you prefer a better selection of products, please plan on bringing them:
- Markers, colored pencils, etc.
- Pencil sharpener
This year we will be diving into some really BIG IDEAS relating to life. Understanding these BIG IDEAS will help you better understand the world around you. Here are some of the BIG IDEAS that we'll explore:
- Living things can be similar but different
- Cells make up all living things
- Genetic material contains all of the instructions to make new living things
- Living things change over time
- The structure of living things (like the presence of wings, gills, large claws, and even color patterns) are related to specific functions
- In order to stay alive, living things have to maintain conditions inside of their bodies that don't change much (this is called homeostasis)
- Living things interact with their surroundings
We'll be following the Next Generation Science Standards (https://goo.gl/uFHjqi) so get ready for hands-on learning and scientific experimentation!!
LATE WORK POLICY
If a student is absent (excused) submit work within 3 days of return to school with no penalty. All other late work will be accepted with a penalty of 10% per day. If work is submitted more than 10 days late, late credit is not guaranteed but will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
When student behavior needs correction the following graduating steps of discipline will be followed:
- Step 1 - Informal warning (the student will be asked to correct a specific behavior and to follow a specific rule)
- Step 2 - Verbal warning (the student will be given a formal warning that their behavior must be immediately corrected)
- Step 3 - Time out/cool-down period and email to parent
- Step 4 - Lunch detention
- Step 5 - Office referral (the student will be referred to the vice principal to begin progressive disciplinary actions and parents will be contacted)