Kinard Middle School
Students feed into Kinard from many elementary schools. Our goal is to give all students a common base of art knowledge and skills. We focus on developing skills that include drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, and collage. They have the opportunity to experiment and refine skills using a variety of art media. Elements and principles of design are emphasized in each project in addition to viewing and discussing artworks outlined in the Core Knowledge Curriculum.
Why is art important?
- The arts develop essential skills for GLOBAL COMPETITIVENESS in the 21st century workforce.
- Planning - brainstorming, sketching, composition, finding own perspective
- Creative Thinking - reflection, peer feedback, visual spatial reasoning, focus, exploration, invention, problem solving
- The arts promote active and complex learning.
- The arts are an essential language in our visual culture