THANK YOU CRAYOLA!
The Crayola Grant provides $1,000 of Crayloa products to P.S. 54.
The Crayola products are provided to help facilitate the creative coping skills grant to help third grade students develop social emotional learning skills.
History of Crayola Grant
- Yearly elementary/middle schools in United States and Canada apply to the
"Champion Creatively Alive Children"
- Grants implement and share results of innovative Creativity programs.
- Each award includes a $2,500 grant and $1,000 worth of Crayola products.
- P.S. 54 Staff said Yes to collaboration.
- Only 20 grants are awarded.
P.S. 54 Won!
We share Crayola’s beliefs:
1. In the power of original thought and innovative practices.
2. Art-infused education engages students and results in
robust, memorable learning.
3. Children are empowered by creative leaders.
4. It takes a visionary leadership team to enhance a school’s
creative collaborative culture.
5. “What if…?” is a great question that makes leaders explore
new possibilities and implement change.
P.S. 54’s School Creative Leadership Team includes:
Dr. Ferreira, Mr. Eisma, Ms. Silverman, Ms. Moore, Ms. Mark, Ms. Valis, Ms. Halliday, and Ms. Ilarraza
We all agree to help us answer the question:
What if our third grade students practice creative coping skills to be emotionally strong and prepared for academic success?
Your teachers and I will teach you a coping skill that will involve art infused strategies. These strategies aim is to prepare you to manage the stress of both academic and nonacademic demands.
All 3rd grade students will be taught the following coping skills:
1. Stress Ball Reducer
2. Journal Making
3. Musical Maracas
4. Painting Positive Visualizations
5. Deep Breathing with bubbles
6. Positive Affirmations using Strength Chains
7. Exciting Exercise-Fun Express Mini Flying Saucer
Crayola Creative Coping Skills Grant Session
Third Grade Students learned about using Positive Affirmations to combat negative thinking during a read aloud using the book, I Think I am by Louise L. Hay.
Next students created a strength chain with four positive affirmations for themselves using Crayola markers and construction paper.
Crayola Parent Workshop
P.S.54's School Social Worker facilitated a parent workshop on learning to cope with self-doubt through positive affirmation strength chains. Parents received extra strips of paper to continue their positive statements at home with their family. The markers used were courtesy of a Crayola grant.