Organisations, Galleries, Events, Clubs & Meetups, Competitions/Awards, Courses, Directory
- Perth Centre For Photography (PCP) - established in 1992 as the Photography Gallery of WA, PCP is Perth’s only dedicated photographic arts organisation. Our aim is to promote and support emerging and established photo-based art in Western Australia. We offer an environment that promotes an understanding and appreciation of contemporary photographic practices. In conjunction with our outstanding exhibition program, PCP has developed a range of initiatives including competitive awards, and a broad and engaging education and outreach program aimed at supporting photographers who wish to expand their practice.
- The West Australian Photographic Federation Inc (WAPF) - an organisation that represents and supports the interests of member photography and camera clubs across Western Australia. Most photography clubs (21 metro, 19 country) are members of this organisation: see Affiliated Clubs (also below).
- Australian Institue of Professional Photography (AIPP)- advocates for excellence in imaging and is the membership organisation of choice for professional and aspiring image makers.
- Australian Photography Society (APS) - can help you improve your photography, increase your level of satisfaction and achievement with your images, and make lasting friendships with other photographers throughout Australia.
[ See Art Galleries, as many galleries share spaces between traditional and photographic arts ]
- Perth Centre for Photography (PCP) | FB Page | Exhibitions - the PCP (left) hosts regular exhibitions at its location on Murray St.
- The Big Camera - 133 Kilometres East of Perth on the Great Eastern Highway at Meckering. The only museum, totally dedicated to photography, open to the public anywhere in Australia. The building is fully air-conditioned for comfort and is shaped like a giant 35mm camera.
[Every club (below) usually has regular meetings, with its own dates, so the following events are separate from those. Many photography events coincide with or celebrate a competition (below)]
- Perth National Photographic Competition - The evocative images of the Perth National Photographic Exhibition are a showcase of talent and technique from around Australia. Accepted images are on display during the Perth Royal Show with the public invited to vote for their favourite under the People’s Choice banner.
- Mosaic 2019 - Every year, hundreds of people of all ages and backgrounds across WA step behind their cameras to capture and submit an image from their day for Mosaic Capture Day. All photos submitted are included in the Mosaic Exhibition, a community exhibition that provides a breathtaking snapshot of what a day in WA really looks like.
[There are many photography clubs in Perth, so you're probably best simply joining a local one as well as the major organisations]
Clubs in Perth
- Aperture Group - Merriwa - Come along on 1st & 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7.30pm to mix with fellow photographer enthusiasts. We have digital competitions, seminars, workshops, fieldtrips and guest speakers. We're a friendly bunch who range in photographic skills from beginner to professional. So join us for information, friendship and supper.
- Armadale Creative Photographic & Art Group - committed to encouraging all members to explore and expand the boundaries of their creative skills. Membership is open to all from the photographic and arts community as we facilitate the opportunities for everyone to develop skills in their area of interest. A priority of the club is the empowerment and fellowship of all members to grow together whilst being supported by one another.
- Baldivis Creative Photography Club WA Inc | FB Page -a group of like-minded photographers aiming to promote the photographic art and learn through training and sharing in a positive community. The emphasis in our club is to concentrate on training both from within our membership and the wider photographic arena. A regular critique spot within our meetings is held where each member submits a single image for honest feedback.
- Belmont Camera Club | FB Page - we love to take photos, share information and help each other. We love our monthly afternoon outings, occasional day or weekend trips away. Any opportunity to take photos and we are there. As a member of our camera club you have access to monthly meetings, weekly newsletters, speakers, workshops, outings, the club's Facebook page and much more.
- Foothills Camera Club - meets 7:30 PM - Second Friday of each Month at Forrestfield library.
- Fremantle Camera Club - blending a broad range of experience and expertise, Fremantle Camera Club gives members the opportunity to develop their photographic skills in a warm inviting environment.
- Gem Camera Club-Kalamunda | FB Page - The Club has many activities with bi-monthly meetings and club outings. The Club meetings include a monthly workshop with various photographic topics; a monthly exhibition night where a guest judge provides critique on images entered, and photographic outings to various locations around Perth and intrastate. All our activities provide a social and learning occasion.
- Melville Photography Club - With a friendly social atmosphere, we provide bi-monthly projected image and small print competitions critiqued by an accredited judge.Technical talks by visiting and in house presenters. Photographic outings and field trips, mini workshops, photo rallies, audio visual presentations and much more.
- Northern Exposure Photographer's Group - Ocean Reef | FB Page - The club currently has over 100 members, ranging in experience from novice to professional. The vision is to foster and nurture the art and practice of all aspects of photography in an environment that is relaxing and enjoyable. We formally meet twice a month and have two field trips away each year where we live and breath photography over long weekends. There are also irregular informal events and special interest group events. Monthly competitions are externally judged and these form an important component of improving member's photography skills. Workshops and field trips complement the competition events. If you want to improve your photography, this is the place to be. Annual membership for singles is currently $70, and discounts are available for families and seniors.
- Mandurah Photography Club | FB Page - hosts a range of activities, including bi-weekly competitions, workshops with other camera clubs, presentations by photographers, and photo excursions in the region.Rockingham Photography Club
- Peel Photographic Grouh - Lakeside - a warm, friendly group of photographers who meet once a month on the 3rd Tuesday of the Month to discuss photography, learn, trial products, display images, exhibit from time to time and socialize. Holds an annual Mini Convention with guest speakers and workshops to promote skills and for our members and attendees to learn. Membership of the group enables members to discounted workshops, discounted events and more. Our club is very active and there are numerous outings arranged for members to participate and learn the various photographic practices
- PinSharp Camera Club - West Swan - meets Last Thursday of the Month at 7pm.
- Southern Exposure Photography Group FB Page - Kwinana - hosts a small membership which makes for a warm and friendly atmosphere, ideal for learning and improving your craft. There is a display of members photographs in the foyer of the Kooliny Arts Centre.
- Swan Valley Camera Club | FB Page - a small friendly photography clubs whose home is in Ellenbrook, North East of Perth on the edge of the Swan Valley. With regular Meetings, Outings and Competitions the club offers something for everyone interested in Photography, whether beginner, intermediate or advanced.
- Western Australian Camera Club - Tuart Hill - organisation with member benefits, social outings, workshops, competitions and a newsletter.
- WA Underwater Photographic Society - Nedlands - a non-profit that promotoes underwater photography, marine animals, socialising, diving and photography. WAUPS holds regular monthly meetings, a range of competitions, monthly photo dives, dive trips, exhibitions and social events. WAUPS members also get membership to the WA Photographic Federation and can participate in their events and trips.
- Westside Photography Club - Mt Claremont - meetings alternate between guest speakers on a range of photography topics, and Club competitions. We also conduct regular excursions to gain practical experience.
- Workshop Camera Club - Riverton - the aim of the club is to encourage and promote photography as an art form. The club newsletter “Dark Rumours” is published monthly and can be accessed via a link on the website, along with competition galleries of members photographs.
- Walkabout Photo Club - events may be anywhere in Australia, including near Perth, travelling to different locations for driving and walking photography tours.
[Meetup groups are distinct from clubs simply by virtue of their informality, i.e. they need not have a registered list of members and so are more a moveable feast of interested people:]
- ACE Camera Club
- Albany Photographic Society
- Beverley Photography Group
- Bridgetown Camera Club
- Bunbury-Photography Group of
- Busselton Camera Club
- Esperance Photographers Club
- Geographe Photographic Group
- Geraldton Camera Club
- Hedland Camera Club
- Jurien Bay Camera Club
- Manjimup Photo Club
- Margaret River Camera Club
- Merredin Camera Club
- Northam Photography Group
- Southern Forests Photography Club
- Red Dirt Camera Club
- Quairading Photo Club
- Wagin Camera Club
[Many clubs host their own awards so these are only awards distinct from them]
Courses & Workshops
Many meetups and clubs provide free or cheap workshops; those listed below are certified organisations or groups that run paid workshops or courses as opposed to social events:
- TAFE > Photography Courses - TAFE (Technical and Further Education run by the Government) provides a Diploma of Photography and Photo Imaging as well as a Professional Photography course.
- Murdoch Bachelor of Creative Media in Photography - in this course, you’ll learn from industry professionals, developing a thorough understanding of critical photographic design and theory and the changing nature of the creative industries.
- Curtin Photography Major School of Design and Built Environment - Curtin’s photography major examines the interchanges between design, editorial and fine art photography. This approach will enable you to develop your own practice to a standard of excellence across multiple platforms.
- UWA Practical Photography Extension Course - whether you are a new photographer or someone wanting to learn more about the basics of of digital photography, this is an ideal course for you.
Workshops and Online Resources
- Camera Club - provides photography training for beginners, landscapes and portraits, with a free newsletter providing information on technical skills, news and events.
- Photography Institute - The Professional Photography Courses are provided online.You study at home, in your own time and at your own pace.
Photography is something of a cutthroat creative business in terms of the high demand and concentration of events and photographers. For major events, make sure your photographer makes the raw photos available as soon as possible to avoid issues!
- Photography Directory Project > Perth Filter - business listings
- Yelp > Photographers Near Perth Filter - business listings
- Perth Australia.com > Directory > Photographers - business listings
- Photographers.com - a user generated Photographers directory where people can search, find and hire the services of a Photographer. Focusing predominantly in Australia, Photographers.com.au allows users to search via several different forms, quick links to categories, free form entry and geographic location, along with feedback rating.
- Perth Photography - a special team of highly skilled and experienced photographers, videographer & graphic artists working together to provide quality photography solutions and services.