Food Service

The district offers varied menus at the elementary and high school. Menus are available to view on our web page, local newspapers, and in the elementary and high school offices. Click on Menu under Food Service. You can also check the HS Announcements for the daily menu. Pine River-Backus Food Service will work to accommodate special diet requests with a signed doctors statement that includes the food to be avoided, (i.e. allergen), and a brief explanation for how exposure for the food affects the child, and recommended substitutes.

Offer vs. Serve

As per government regulations, PR/B incorporates a feature called “Offer vs Serve.” This program requires the student to select a minimum of three of the five food components included in the lunch program and three of the four food items on the breakfast menu. The portions of all the food items will be the same and the price of the meal will not be lowered when taking less than the entire meal.


State law specifies the responsibility of a school to provide a lactose-free milk with a written request from a parent/guardian. The state does not allow the district to make any other substitutions, such as juice to lactose intolerant students.

Meal Account Information

The district uses an Individual Meal Accounting System where each student has their own account. Meal accounts must have money in the account in order for the student to use it. We encourage parents/guardians to pay in advance of the first day of school to alleviate the constraints students experience those first days of the school year.

Payments may be sent to ISD #2174, Food Service Office, Box 610, 401 Murray Ave. Pine River, Mn. 56474.

Payments can be made online through the parent's Skyward account. Contact the school office if you do not know your login information or password. Payments can also be sent with the individual student. If sending a check, please include the student's name. If you have more than one student in the district, you may send one check and in the memo area write each student's name and how you want the money divided. Make checks payable to ISD #2174. If sending cash, please place it in an envelope with the student's name on it. Payment may be made by students in the commons area from 8:00 – 8:30 a.m.

The Pine River-Backus Schools utilize a computerized system to record student and staff meal payments and purchases.

Staff and students will be required to PREPAY for breakfast/lunch, extra milk, or extra entrees. A positive balance must be established in your account to allow participation in the school meal programs.

Students are notified daily in the lunch line if their balance is getting low. In addition Skylert/School Messenger will automatically call parents when balances are low or negative. Students receiving free/reduced meals must be aware that any extra milk or extra entrée will be subtracted from their account. Staff not having enough money in their account to cover the meal will be turned away in the lunch line. Students not having money will not be able to purchase extra's.

Balances are rolled over from one year to the next. Students graduating may have their account balances transferred to a younger sibling or refunded by calling the Food Service Office at 587-2865. A request for a refund must be made by the parent/guardian when a student is leaving the district.



587-2865 from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Application For Educational Benefits

To apply for Free or Reduced price school meals, please complete the Application for Educational Benefits - ( Complete Instructions / Just page 17-18 to print and fill out.) A new application is needed each year. A student transferring from another school, during the school year, must fill out an application for this district. The family must have money in the student's account in order for them to eat while the application process takes place.

Applications for free/reduced priced meals are available in all school or food service offices and on the school web site (see the attachments below). At any time during the school year, if you believe you may qualify for one of these programs or as often as your situation changes, please fill out the form and return to the food service department.

Online Payment Available

Pine River-Backus Schools has made adding money to your student’s food service account easy and convenient! We contract with RevTrak to provide a secure site for making online payments.

Parents are able to add money to student food service accounts, view account balances and see transaction history online! All you will need to do is login to Skyward and select the “Food Service” tab. You now have the option to select “Make a Payment”. You will then be taken to the PRB Webstore where you can create an account and make Food Service Payments. (The link and more Skyward information is also on the Parent Resource Page.)

Phone and Email notifications - please see the Parents page for information on how you can control the notifications.

Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to the USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.