Tech (Device) Resources
- Use the PRB_Open wireless network.
- Use your school email address to login when you are at school.
- If the iBoss icon at the top is green - it is working properly. If it is red - log out and log back in. If it is still red, stop by the tech office.
- For troubleshooting hints, scroll to the bottom of this page.
- Video Recording and Screenshots - Check out Screencastify and Nimbus in the Chrome Extensions part of this page.
- Search Key + L at the same time locks the screen.
- Control+Shift+Q (pressed twice) Logs you out of the chromebook.
- Control+Alt+/ brings up keyboard shortcuts. Escape to exit.
- Screen Shots (pictures of what is on your screen) - Use the following key combinations at the same time. The pictures will be saved to your download folder.
- Cont + Switch Windows key will take a screenshot of the entire desktop. (See the graphic at the bottom.)
- Cont + Shift + Switch Windows key allows you to click and drag to select the area that you want in your screenshot. (See the graphic at the bottom.)
- Another option is to install the Quick Share Screenshot Extension. See the information below.
- Settings and Log Out are at the bottom right corner. Shut down is on the left after you log out. Video
- Control+Alt+z Toggles ChromeVox screen reader on and off. ChromeVox is a screen reader (reads the text that is on the screen. Read & Write is another screen reader (see the information below.) On a Mac or Windows computer, the Chrome extension can be used.
- Video with 5 Hints for Chromebook users - 6 minutes. Changing the background, downloading files, finding files and apps.
- Videos from Google about Chromebooks- Getting Started on a Chromebook | Managing Files | WiFi Issues | Power Issues
- Offline Access - Google Apps can be used when you do not have Internet. Set Up Instructions so that you can use it offline.
Are you using your own device/laptop?
There are two things that need to be done. The first is a one-time step. (Use the PRB_Open wireless system.)
1. You need to install the PRB Open Certificate by going to http://172.16.1.216/open while here at school. Click on and install the certificate ls.prbackus.k12.mn.us.crt at the trusted root authority. If you have issues, stop by the tech office and we can help.
2. You can go to this link and then log in using the same information that you log into a desktop computer here at school. http://172.16.1.139/user_login.html Bookmark this address because the system will need to know who you are each day. (Anonymous users have very limited access.)
If you go to the Chrome Web Store using Chrome or a Chromebook you can search for these and others and install them. Some we use and others just look interesting.
Announcify - "reads out loud every website you want. For example, if you're too tired but still need to study one more Wikipedia entry, Announcify can help your tired eyes relax."
Camera - For taking still pictures. Save or upload them to Google Drive or send them by email.
Calculator - A calculator with 29-functions for basic arithmetic, algebra, trigonometry and discrete math.
Dictionary - Highlight a work and click on the extension icon once installed and you will get a definition of the word.
Extensity - Gives you a list of your extensions and allows you to turn them on and off. It also gives you a list of your Apps.
Grammarly - The free Spell Checker & Grammar Checker by Grammarly helps you write clearly and confidently on Gmail, and nearly anywhere else on the Web. With Grammarly, you can always be sure that your words are mistake-free and say what you mean.
Keep from Google - Notes and lists.
Folia - Use Folia to review documents, mark them up with annotations, and invite others to work together. Unlike other apps, Folia lets you…
Use Folia to review documents, mark them up with annotations, and invite others to work together. Unlike other apps, Folia lets you mark up DOC, PPT, XLS, PDF, RTF, JPG, PNG, Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Drawings, with many more to come! Import documents from cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive.
Office Editing for Documents - Upload Office documents to Google Drive. Then use this Chrome Extension to edit the documents in Google Apps.
QR Code Extension - Scan or create a QR code. There is no reason to create an account. The scan works fine without an account.
Read & Write for Chrome - Boost reading and writing confidence. Offer support for Google Docs/web to students with learning difficulties, dyslexia or ELL/ESL. Read&Write for Google Chrome™ offers a range of powerful support tools to help students gain confidence with reading, writing, studying and research, including:
- Hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting
- Highlight text in documents or the web and collect for use in other documents
- Create and listen to voice notes directly inside of Google Docs.
- Listen to what you have typed in a Google Doc.
Schoology - Chrome app.
Screencastify - Allows you to record what is on your screen or tab along with your voice and creates a movie that can be saved to Google Drive. Link to an article about twelve tools for recording video on Chromebooks. | Link to article about Screencasting tools.
Screenshot - Quick Share Screenshot extension - This allows you to click on the icon and have the screenshot saved to Google Drive and a link to the file is saved to the clipboard so that you can paste it into a document quickly. You must share the file. The easiest way to do that once so that you don't have to share each file individually is to go to Google Drive. Find the folder that the extension creates and share that folder with anyone that has the link to the folder (one time setting). Then all of the screenshots will have the same permission as the folder.
SpeakIt - Have text that you have highlighted read to you.
Twisted Wave - "TwistedWave is a full featured audio editor that allows you to: Edit audio files from your computer or your Google Drive, Apply effects, Save in one of many supported file formats, and export the file back to your disk, Google Drive or SoundCloud." Text from the Chrome Webstore. Video Tutorial - There are also other tutorials for other audio recorders.
Vocaroo - Website where you can make short audio recordings. The recordings can be saved and then uploaded to Schoology or sent as an attachment. https://vocaroo.com/
MIT App Inventor - App Inventor, a cloud-based tool, lets you build apps for your Android devices in your web browser. The easy to use blocks-based programming environment and live app testing on your mobile device make it the perfect platform ….
Google Apps - Add-Ons
Add-Ons are helper apps that you can add to Google Docs and Sheets. To add them, go to the menu - Add-ons | Get Add-ons.
Some of the Add-ons that you might find useful include:
Google Docs: Charts | Easy Accents | EasyBib | Extensis Fonts | g(Math) | Pixabay Free Image Search | Speech Recognition | Table Formatter | Table of Contents | Texthelp Study Skills | Thesaurus | Calculator | Paper Pile
Chromebook Troubleshooting -
If a Chromebook is not working normally, you can press the Reload button (top row - see graphic above) and the power button at the same time. This forces a complete restart of the Chromebook and solves many issues.
Another thing that can be done - Go to Settings at the bottom right hand side and then scroll down to Advanced settings. The click on Clear browsing data. We clear from the beginning of time. We check Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and Cached images and then click on Clear browsing data.
You can also update the Chrome operating system. From the same Settings screen, click on About Chrome OS on the top middle of the screen. Then click on Check for and apply updates. Only do this when you will be in the same location for a while (home or school). It might take 10-15 minutes depending on how much of an update gets installed. You do not want to start it and then take it on the bus or leave school with it before it is finished updating.
Report damage or lose of a Chromebook to your teacher, School Office and the Tech Department.