Technology Integration at West Elementary
End of year Choice Day
Today you will get to create using the tool of your choice! All topics MUST BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. You may choose to work independently or with a partner.
Your choices are:
- Google Slides: Create a slideshow or screencast about the topic of your choice!
- Google Drawings: Create a poster about the topic of your choice! Tutorial
- Code.org: Work on your coursework. Remember to sign-in through Clever
- BrainPOP: Watch a movie on your favorite topic. Then, click "Make-a-Movie" to create a movie about that topic. Remember to login with your Google IDs. Tutorial
- Google SketchUP: In your Google Drive
- Scratch: Create a game
- Google Tour Builder: Create a tour of locations you'd like to visit around the world!
- Dash and Dot: Code Dash or Dot to complete tasks using the Wonder or Blockly apps. Tutorial DO NOT USE THE GO APP with REMOTE CONTROL. That's for Kindergarten.
- Bloxels: Create your own educational game using Bloxels! Tutorial
Creating a Summer story using Scratch Jr. on the iPads.
SUb Plans Wednesday 5/30
10:15 Grade 3 Mrs. Haynes
Objective: Students will organize and present their Google Tour Builder presentation by creating a screencast in order to persuade, educate, and entertain. Essential Question: How can we use technology to communicate and publish ideas?
11:15 Grade 4 Mrs. Koenecke
Objective: Students will organize and present Google Tour Builder presentation by creating a screencast in order to persuade, educate, and entertain. Essential Question: How can we use technology to communicate and publish ideas?
1:15 Kindergarten: Mrs. Hickey
Objective: Students will be able to define technology and the terms high tech and low tech and how people use the technology in their daily lives as good citizens. Essential Questions: How does the technology in our school help us learn?
- Share Technology in Our Home Presentation
- Play Technology Song Video
- Internet Safety Poster to Distribute
Discuss: How do you use technology in your daily life? How does technology help us learn? Answer on Flipgrid here.
This Month's Objectives:
Google Tour Builder
This month, students in Grades 3-5 will be using Google Tour Builder to explore the world using Google Earth. Students will create amazing tours and share information about each location by adding text, images, and video.
Students in Grades K-2 Mapping
Students in Grades K-2 will explore different digital mapping tools by using My Maps, Wixie and more!
Simulation Software and Coding
This month, students in grades 3-5 will learn how to use the simulation software, SketchUp for Schools, to design various structures. SketchUp is fully integrated with the G Suite for Education allowing students to login using their Google Accounts. You may learn more at https://www.sketchup.com/education/sketchup-for-schools. SketchUp is another fabulous tool that allows students to be creative while producing and not just consuming information. We are also typing at TypingClub.com for at least 10 minutes per class.
Students in grades K-2 are using MIT's Scratch and Scratch Jr. programs. Scratch allows students to program their own interactive games, stories, and animations. Our K-1 students will use the FREE Scratch Jr. app on the iPads to code their stories. Second graders will login at https://scratch.mit.edu using a generic classroom account. Consider creating a family account at home and learn how to code alongside your student!
Enrichment Ideas: If you go to MrsBoucher.com there is a Coding Squad page listed under the Student Page. I have posted a Scratch Challenge Activity there for students in Grades 2+ to complete with a parent or guardian. Complete the challenge and earn a digital badge! Students in K-1 may create digital stories by having a parent or guardian download the free Scratch Jr. app.