Student learning outcomes (SLOs) are at the heart of instruction. They describe for the learner what he/she is supposed to be able to do by the end of instruction for that course.
Differences between Objectives and Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) - Google definition
Objective – A course objective describes what a faculty member will cover in a course. They are generally less broad than goals and more broad than student learning outcomes. ... Student Learning Outcome – A detailed description of what a student must be able to do at the conclusion of a course.
Each course has its own student outcomes called CSLOs. There are also program SLOs ( PSLOs) and Institutional level learning outcomes (ISLOs) at a broader level. SLOs are written by faculty and reviewed by both the faculty for a department and the college administration.
Student learning outcomes should be listed in your course syllabus and they can found in Curricunet
The data reported to AACJC accrediting commission can be found here: SBCC Accreditation Page
The Faculty Resource Center staff can provide some guidance in entering course SLO scores or submitting course improvement plan (CIPs) into eLumen. If you need help writing SLOs or CIPS, please contact Michael Robinson at the college.
We have listed some links to guides/tutorials on various SLO tasks including entering SLO scores, examples of CLSOs and rubrics, and answers to general questions about SLOs.
- Entering SLO Scores and Reflection
- Accessing & Viewing Reports in eLumen
- View current SLOs in CurriQunet
- Entering and mapping CSLOs (not the scores)
- Writing Course Improvement Plans (CIPs)
- How to upload all your SLO scores in Canvas into eLumen
DEPARTMENT CHAIR FAQ
- How do I run a report that shows what courses have and have not been scored in the current cycle?
- How do I run a report that shows who has not entered scores for a specific term? (page 3)
- How do I view and print past SIP's for courses?
- How do I add an SLO scorecard or activate courses for SLO reporting?
- How do I view past CSLO Scores for courses?
- How do I view and print past CIP's for courses?
SAMPLE RUBRICS (use scroll bar on the lower right to see list of rubrics)