Pembroke CSD 1:1 CB Learning Initiative
It is the goal of the Pembroke Central School District to implement a successful 1 to 1 initiative which empowers teachers and students to harness the power of technology to collaborate, create, communicate, critically think, and learn how to learn in the 21st century.
Studies show that school districts with a student to computer ratio of 1:1, pronounced "one-to-one", out-perform districts that do not. Benefits of a 1 to 1 computing initiative include 24/7 access to technology for students and the ability to extend learning beyond the traditional brick and mortar school.
What Is The 1:1 Learning Initiative?
1:1 refers to one device for every one student. This shift to a 1:1 digital environment, however, is not really about devices. Instead, it is about transforming teaching and learning. Increased technology in classrooms allows for differentiated, adaptive, personalized learning.
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, we will begin our 1:1 rollout beginning with 3rd-6th graders, and also including 11-12th graders at the Jr/Sr High School.
Utilizing 1:1 technology in the form of chromebooks allows:
- Students to own their own learning
- Students to access up-to-date information when they need it (i.e. digital textbooks are kept up to date)
- Teachers to see (in real time) how students are learning and where they are in their path towards mastery of the content
- For easier ways to reach diversity in learning styles
- For increased collaboration while honoring the introspective voice
- Teachers to prepare students for an increasingly more technology-dependent world
- Teachers to develop environment where students stay engaged