Consultation on a proposed reduction in the published admission number for Outwood Academy Danum, Doncaster, with effect from September 2021
Length of consultation: 6 weeks, ending on 29th November 2019.
Admission authorities must have determined their admissions arrangements for entry in September 2021 by 28th February 2020. They must publish them on their website and have sent a copy to their local authority before 15th March 2020.
As an academy, we are our own admissions authority and as such must ensure that:
- consultation lasts for a minimum of 6 weeks and must take place between 1st October 2019 and 31st January 2020.
- we consult with:
- parents of children between the ages of two and eighteen;
- other persons in the relevant area who may have an interest in the proposed admissions;
- all other admission authorities within the relevant area;
- the local authority
- for the duration of the consultation period, a copy of our full proposed admission arrangements (including the proposed PAN) is published on our website together with details of the person within the admission authority to whom comments may be sent and the areas on which comments are not sought.
- send upon request a copy of the proposed admission arrangements to any of the persons or bodies listed above inviting comment.
To decrease the published admission number from 280 students to 210 students.
Although the Regulations and Code of Practice relating to school admissions no longer require an admissions authority to consult when maintaining or increasing a school’s PAN, there remains a requirement to consult when the proposal is to reduce a PAN. Outwood Academy Danum, as the admissions authority, is seeking comments on the proposed change.
The current Published Admission Number (PAN) for Outwood Academy Danum is 280. This means that the number of children admitted into the school at Year 7 each year is limited to 280. Due to the necessary changes to the building, to make it fit for purpose, the current PAN exceeds the physical capacity of the academy to accommodate this number of pupils. Reducing the PAN will ensure that the current building is suitable and fit for purpose.
The building was originally built as a split site, however when we took over the school as a high performing Trust, we made the decision to educate on one site as moving children between sites caused a safeguarding issue. We deemed the split site to be a poor offer as this arrangement was not conducive to providing outstanding outcomes.
Outwood Academy Danum proposes to reduce the published admission number of the academy from 280 to 210 with effect from September 2021.
This means that the number of places available for children in Year 7 in 2021—and all subsequent Year 7 cohorts—will be 210. For children who already have a place at the school in other year groups there will be no change; the admission number for all other years remains at 280.
The capacity of the school building is the sole factor in deciding to consult on this proposal.
How to Respond
This consultation will run from 18 October 2019 to 29 November 2019 and you are invited to submit comments about the above proposal. An online form is provided below or, if you prefer, a paper response form can be printed and returned by post to:
Alex Widdowson, Outwood Academy Danum, Armthorpe Road, Doncaster DN2 5QD.
Please send any comments by 29 November 2019.
Following the consultation period the Trust Board will consider any comments received and how to proceed. Admission arrangements for 2021 will be determined by 28th February 2020 and any subsequent objections would need to be made to the Office of the Schools Adjudicator.