The OUSD elementary science program centers around the FOSS curriculum, a research-based program from the Lawrence Hall of Science. FOSS kits are provided to all elementary school sites on a rotational basis every trimester. Live organisms and consumable materials will also be fully supplied. Below for details and resources related to the program.
By centralizing the FOSS materials system, OUSD ensures that every classroom has the materials they need every trimester, every year for hands on science.
Plus, this system saves the district about $200,000 per year in replacement material costs.
FOSS Rotation - By the Numbers
- 3,600 boxes
- Moved 4 times a year
- 2 weeks per rotation
- 54 schools
- 900 classrooms
- 30,000 students
- 10 high school summer interns to refurbish FOSS kits
- 986 individual items in boxes
Over 10,000 human hours every year to keep the system going!
Preparing for FOSS Rotation
Remember, FOSS kits travel straight from one classroom to another. We need your help to make sure the next classroom has the materials they need. We're all in this together!
- Clean, dry, disassemble, and sort all items.
- Sort and inventory all items and secure them in plastic bags.
- Store posters flat on the bottom of the box.
- For TK Fabric, include the Teacher Guide.
- Put all permanent and consumable items in the correct box as indicated. Items missing will be billed to your school. Items placed in the wrong box will be considered missing. It is important that kits are properly prepared as they are immediately moved to another school. Any issues will cause problems for the next teacher. The inventory list is on the front of box and on the OUSD Science website.
- Make sure all boxes for your kit are returned. Your kit may have up to four boxes. Include odd boxes that do not look like the usual FOSS kits:
- Grade 2 - Energy, Box D (marble runs in a long tan bag or box)
- Grade 4 - Solid Earth, Box D (gray plastic box of earth materials)
- Keep your three Teacher Toolkits and all Science Resource Books (including Big Books in K-2). They stay permanently at your site.
Requesting Missing or Broken Items
We know that when kids do hands-on science, consumable items get used up and sometimes materials get lost or broken. That's why OUSD is committed to replacing missing, broken, or used-up materials at no cost* to sites.
Inventory the kit within two weeks of your FOSS Rotation date. Anything missing afterwards will be the responsibility of your school. To request replacements for missing or broken items:
Replacement items will be sent to your school site within 7 working days or can be picked up at the SMART Center.
Please contact us or your Lead Science Teacher if there are any problems or questions.
TK-5 Inventory Sheets
TK - Fabric
K - Trees & Weather
K - Animals Two by Two
K - Materials & Motion
Air & Weather
Plants & Animals
Sound & Light
Pebbles, Sand & Silt
Insects & Plants
Solids & Liquids
Water & Climate
Structures of Life
Motion & Matter
Soils, Rocks & Landforms
Earth & Sun
Mixtures & Solutions