Philosophy of Education
Philosophy of Education
- Each year every classroom presents a unique community of learners that varies not only in abilities, but also in learning styles. My role as a teacher is to give children the tools with which to cultivate their own gardens of knowledge. To accomplish this goal, I will teach to the needs of each child so that all learners can feel capable and successful. The curriculum presented will involve the interests of the children and make learning relevant to life. I will incorporate themes, integrated units, projects, group work, individual work, and hands on learning in order to make children active learners. Finally, I will tie learning into the world community to help children become caring and active members of society.
- For myself, teaching provides an opportunity for continual learning and growth. One of my hopes as an educator is to instill a love of learning in my students, as I share my own passion for learning with them. I feel there is a need for compassionate, strong, and dedicated individuals who are excited about working with children. In our competitive society it is important for students to not only receive a solid education, but to work with someone who is aware of and sensitive to their individual needs. I will always strive to be the best educator that I can be.
- 26 years classroom experience (primarily focused on transitional-K through third grade)
- 6 years at Laurel Elementary
- 11 years at Ivey Ranch Elementary
- 8 years at South Oceanside Elementary
- Student teaching at San Rafael Elementary and Laurel Elementary
- Lion King Production
- Literacy Week
- Red Ribbon Week
- Family Math Night
- Family Art Night
- Second Grade Butterfly Garden Project
- San Diego Chargers Champions Grant (used for a new track)
- Participated in the school-wide Rob Finley Garden Project
- My classroom will be a caring, safe, and equitable environment where each child can blossom and grow. I will allow children to become responsible members of our classroom community by using strategies such as morning meetings, positive discipline, and democratic principles. In showing children how to become responsible for themselves as well as their own learning, I am giving them the tools to become successful in life, to believe in themselves, and to love themselves.
- I have 1 son, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 2 fish, and 1 cat
- Visiting the San Diego Zoo
- Visiting the Safari Park
- Traveling with family