NOTICE: The ORR Budget Committee Meeting scheduled for Feb. 13, 2019 has been rescheduled for a date TBD.
MEETING RESOURCES are posted on this site in advance of meeting date as they become available.
THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL COMMITTEES
The School Committees act as the agents of the Commonwealth in the operation of educational facilities within its jurisdiction. They are responsible for the fulfillment of statutory mandates and the acceptance or rejection of permissive legislation. In any and all cases not otherwise determined by statute or regulation of the Board of Education, the Committees consider themselves the responsible agencies in the establishment and appraisal of educational activities in the public schools of the District, with the advice of the Superintendent and the will of the people always taken into consideration.
The duties of the Committees include but are not limited to
- Determination of all questions of policy and procedure that pertain to education in the district.
- Establishment and maintenance of schools and educational curriculum and programs deemed desirable to meet the educational needs of the students in the District.
- Selection, appointment, supervision and annual evaluation of a Superintendent of Schools.
- Approval of performance standards for teachers and administrators.
- Establishment and transmittal to the towns of an annual budget sufficient to adequately meet the educational needs of the students.
- Adoption of textbooks as recommended by the Superintendent of Schools.
- Approval of architectural plans for all new school buildings and/or additions.
- Establishment and maintenance of a school transportation program for students residing in Marion, Mattapoisett and Rochester, in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Negotiations with employee organizations concerning salary and conditions of work.
- Review of School Policy