Mrs. Coxall Grade 4
Welcome to Mrs. Coxall's Grade 4 Class Website!
May 15: Oh my goodness the time is just flying by! Thank you for all your support especailly during education week. The class was thrilled to have earned the chance to paint in the reconcillition room so thank you for your generosity! We are about 2/3 of the way through our Sadako novel study and are also working on persuasive writing in language these days. We have finished our fraction unit in math and are moving on to algebra. Thank you to all those that have volunteered for Baxter. A letter will be sent home shortly. We are now full for volunteers. A reminder that this Friday May 18 is a PD Day. A reminder to check out twitter @MrsCoxall for photos and updates as well.
Scholastic orders this month are due May 24 - a good time to stock up for some summer reading!
- April 6: April is upon us as is the season of Easter as we celebrate our risen Christ. I hope your family had a wonderful Easter weekend.
- A few reminders below as we beign April:
- Our Easter mass is on April 11 at 9:25 all are welcome.
- With the snow melting we have had many pairs of wet boots and wet socks in class - sending an extra pair of socks in backpacks would be appreciated.
- As you know we had a visit from the Lice Squad recently. Please continue to check at home for "visitors" as well as encourage hair to be tied back in a pony tail or braid to come to school as they can be difficult creatures to get rid of.
- In math we are just finishing up our measurement unit and will be starting Geometry.
- March 5: Reminder that some students took home their yearbook cover page last week to finish. Please ask your child if they have finished and encourage them to return it to school.
- Last week some students received IEP's for the new term . Please sign the parent page and return only that page to school. The rest of the document is for you to keep for your records.
- In math this week we will continue to work on the measurement unit. A ruler or tape measurer and a list of household items to measure from you would be good extra practice for your child at home. We are measuring to one decimal place for example 3.2cm .
- Thank you to all those who donated and dressed up for the PJ day fundraiser!
- Reminder that the quilt raffle fundraiser is on going.
- Our school wide Jersey day is this Friday March 9 and once again a $2.00 donation is suggested. funds raised go to Roger Neilson House in honour of Cara.
- Lastly, students worked incredibly hard on their Lent fundraising media projects. If you haven't seen your child's final product please ask them to show you. I think you will be impressed - I was!
February 4: With Ground hog day behind us it looks like we still have many weeks of winter ahead of us and we have lots going on in grade 4! Some key dates and events will follow below.
- DANCE: Special shout out to our parent council and those that support them with all they do. The junior classes enjoyed a fantastic dance workshop over three days last week featuring Luv2Groove. It was awesome!
- EMPTY BOXES : In health we are working on healthy life choices and would love donations of empty clean food containers such as juice, any dry good boxes or dairy containers are examples. Anything that has the nutritional information on the container and does not have any sharp edges would be useful.
- KLEENEX: We have had many colds run through the class and we are unfortunately down to our last box of kleenex from our back to school collection in the fall. If you can spare a box of kleenex or two to send in it would be much appreciated.
- LUGE: We have been assigned the topic of the LUGE to research as we prepare as a school for the olympics. If you and your child are able to do any research to share with the class on this topic that would be appreciated! Images - hand drawn, from magazines or computer generated for our poster would also be helpful.
- TOYS: We have experienced an increase in the amount of toys being brought to school. Please help encourage the students to leave these items at home as we have had some that have become very distracting during class time.
- KEY DATES:
- February 12 : Scientist in the school first and second block. Parent volunteers please arrive for 8:45. If you still would like to volunteer please let me know. If you are no longer able to volunteer please let me know.
- February 13: VALENTINE EXCHANGE those that wish to bring cards please do so on this day due to Ash Wednesday and Valentine's day falling on the same day.As a class we will have a small celebration. Wearing red, white or pink would be festive as well!
- February 14 : Ash Wednesday liturgy during second block.
- February 16: Monthly recognition assembly "Love" first block.
- A reminder that you can follow our class activities on twitter @MrsCoxall
- January 8, 2018: Happy new year! We returned to school today with the blessing of milder temperatures and fresh fluffy snow to play in. As you will know by now though we also returned to school to the very sad news of the passing of one of our students Cara Dance. We gathered this morning with our neighbouring classes and joined together in prayer for Cara's family, friends and her class. You would have been so very proud of your children for the respect and the love they showed today. As a community we will remember Cara's beautiful smile that brightened up our days.
- A reminder following our holiday break that an extra pair of socks and extra mittens are good items to tuck in back packs as those times do tend to get wet easily.
- Our monthly recognition assembly is this Friday January 12 at 1:00. Invitations were sent home today to those parents of children who will be receiving certificates this month however all parents are welcome to attend.
December 13, 2017: December began in a blur of activities and the week ahead promises to be just as busy! Our school wide Christmas concert is being held on Wednesday December 20th at 1:00. Students are asked to wear Christmas “festive wear”, such as red and green outfits, Christmas themed clothing, and Christmas headgear (Santa hats, reindeer antlers, etc.). Following this are two links for the French and English songs the Grade 4's have been preparing. Please encourage them to practice at home. We hope you can join us! Thanks!
November 5, 2017: We have begun our month of Remembrance and the grade 4's are busy preparing to lead the Remembrance Day assembly on Friday November 10 at 10:45. All parents are welcome to attend. Grade 4's will be actively participating as this is their assembly to lead for the year. Students are asked to wear dark bottoms (jeans are also fine) and a red top. I have a few extra tops so if anyone needs one to borrow please just send me a note in the agenda. Thank you to all the parents that helped supervise the 67's trip last week. It would not have run as smoothly without all the extra help. Thank you also for all the parents who attended progress report interviews last week. Your support is much appreciated. November 23 at 1:15 is our grade 4 Bible ceremony in the learning commons. All are welcome. Some up coming dates for December are December 1st we kick off our Angel Tree Campaign with a PJ day at school. Please consider making a $2.00 donation if you are able in order to support our Angel Tree efforts. December 8th will be a wear your Christmas clothes day again to raise funds for our Angel Tree. A $2.00 donation would be appreciated. The last day for Angel Tree donations is December 14th. With all this talk of Christmas it makes me think of snow and although we haven't had any yet we have experienced some cold days. Please remember to send mittens, hats and boots and warm clothing as the temperature lowers. I continue to be grateful for the wonderful young people in my class ... their inquiring minds, their energy and enthusiasm make each day brighter!
October 5, 2017: Eve of the Thanksgiving long weekend! Congratulations to all the grade 4's and their parents! We have reached the Thanksgiving milestone together! We can proudly say we have made it through the back to school frenzy! I am grateful for all the support you provide for your children and the welcome I have received into the St. Luke community. We are continuing to work on our class routines and look forward to the challenges of the fall term. We have much to look forward to with our Remembrance day ceremony, the Bible ceremony, our class photos, Halloween and our 67's field trip! My morning message today included some points of gratitude for my class...Mrs. Coxall is thankful for morning smiles, helping hands, kind students, student art gifts to hang on my wall, hearts that sing and pray and all my marvelous minions! May Thanksgiving be a time of peace, joy and love in your families and may the sun shine on us as we celebrate fall, friends and family!
September 5, 2017 : First day of school! Letter to parents sent home from Mrs. Coxall today - click here for a soft copy if the paper copy did not make it home. By the end of the day the students had several handouts to bring home including the school newsletter, the school year calendar, the acceptable use of technology agreement and the CASL (consent form for pictures/posts etc.). Agendas were also sent home. Unfortunately there is no plastic pocket in the front of the agenda this year for us to use to insert notes to go home. If possible a large ziploc baggie for the agenda to travel in from home to school might be helpful in keeping notes from getting lost. Thank you to those that introduced themselves this morning. I look forward to working with you and your children. Happy back to school!