Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
What is Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)?
Students focus on a career path that matches their skills, interests and talents while earning their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- Diploma with "Specialist" Designation
- Relevant skill development through Experiential Learning
- Industry Recognized Certifications
- Innovation, Creativity, Entrepreneurship Opportunities
SHSM Program Components:
- Bundle of 7 - 9 credits (grade 11 & 12 including 2 Coop)
- Industry Sector recognized certifications (compulsory & electives)
- Experiential Learning (work experience & job shadowing)
- Reach Ahead Opportunities (post secondary)
- Essential Skills & Work habits
- Innovation, Creativity, Entrepreneurship (ICE)
NEW Programs - Fall 2017
Baking and Culinary Arts — Ottawa Technical Secondary School
Construction Trades — Gloucester High School
Entrepreneurship — Earl of March Secondary School
Environment through Indigenous Lens — Hillcrest High School
Healthy Lifestyles: Foods, Health, Fitness — Sir Robert Borden High School
High-Performance Sports Program — Gloucester High School
Urban Farming — Sir Guy Carleton Secondary School
Youth Voices — Gloucester High School
For more information, please contact your Guidance counsellor or Lydia Hamilton, Specialist High Skills Major Board Lead: email@example.com 613-596-8211 ext.8575
Students who wish to enroll in a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program must apply in addition to filling out their home school option sheet. Contact your Guidance counsellor for registration instructions.
SHSM programs have limited enrolment. Students will be admitted on a priority basis in the following order: homeschool; neighbouring schools; remaining schools in the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. It is possible for students to attend a SHSM host school for one semester, and then return to their home school to complete diploma requirements.
Please note: Transportation is provided.