(1,600 Hour Requirement)
Scope of Practice
A cosmetologist is a licensed professional that provides hair, skin, and nail care treatment and services. The scope of practice for a cosmetologist in the State of Nevada is:
- Cleansing, stimulating or massaging the scalp or cleansing or beautifying the hair by the use of cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, tonics, lotions or creams;
- Cutting, trimming or shaping the hair;
- Arranging, dressing, curling, waving, cleansing, singeing, bleaching, tinting, coloring or straightening the hair of any person with the hands, mechanical or electrical apparatus or appliances, or by other means, or similar work incident to or necessary for the proper carrying on of the practice or occupation;
- Manicuring the nails of any person;
- Beautifying, massaging, stimulating or cleansing the skin of the human body by the use of cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, tonics, lotions, creams or any device, electrical or otherwise, for the care of the skin;
- Giving facials or skin care or applying cosmetics or eyelashes to any person;
- Applying cosmetics or eyelashes to any person, tinting eyelashes and eyebrows, and lightening hair on the body; and
- Removing superfluous hair from the surface of the body of any person by the use of electrolysis where the growth is a blemish, or by the use of depilatories, waxing, tweezers or sugaring, except for the permanent removal of hair with needles.
How to Get Licensed
If you are just starting to research a career as a cosmetologist, please visit our Student Resources page for more information. The cosmetology program in Nevada is 1,600 hours in length and takes an estimated fifty (50) weeks or less to complete at 35 hours of schooling per week.
If you are currently enrolled as a cosmetology student in the State of Nevada and you have completed the practical test at your school, you must schedule for your theory and Nevada State Law Test. Please contact your school representative to schedule your tests with the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology.
If you have completed hours outside the State of Nevada (out of state or out of country hours) in a cosmetology program, you must pass the theory, Nevada State Law, and practical tests. You must be able to provide beauty school transcripts or documentation to be eligible for the tests. Please complete the Individual Application . Please be sure to contact the school you attended and have the school send us a breakdown of the subjects via email, fax, or regular mail.
If you are licensed in another state, district, or territory you may be eligible for reciprocity (transferring your license to Nevada). Please visit our Reciprocity Information page for more information.