Please review the Frequently Asked Questions or click on the icon below to search the website.

When do late fees accrue on a lapsed license?

A $20 late fee begins accruing the day after the license has expired and increases by $20 for each month the license is not renewed. (Example: If the license expired on May 1st and you renew the license on May 2nd, a $20 late fee will be applied. If you renew the license on June 2nd, a $40 late fee will be applied.)

Can I renew a license that has been expired for over 4 years?

No. You must complete an Individual Application.

If you have been actively licensed in another state during those four (4) years, you can apply for Reciprocity and will need to pass the Nevada State Law Test.

If you have not been actively licensed in another state during those four (4) years, you will need to pass a theory, practical, and the Nevada State Law Test.

What do I need to provide for a name change on my license?

Any of the following documents will be accepted for a name change:

-Copy of a marriage certificate/license

-Copy of divorce papers with last name restored

-Copy of citizenship papers

-Copy of a DMV-issued driver's license or identification card

If my license has been expired for over 4 years, do I need to go back to school to obtain more hours?

No, you are not required to attend school for additional hours.

If you were actively licensed during the four (4) years, you may be eligible for reciprocity (transferring your license to Nevada). If you did not have an active license in any state or jurisdiction during the four (4) years you may be required to complete three (3) tests: a theory, a practical, and a Nevada State Law test in order to obtain a Nevada license. Please complete the Individual Application to apply and to determine eligibility.

Can I hold licenses in multiple states? Does transferring a license through reciprocity to Nevada cancel my other license?

Yes, you can hold active licenses in multiple states. You are using your license from another state as proof that you have completed the required education or training and that you have passed the applicable test(s) that demonstrate that you can safely perform your trade on the public.

Please visit our Reciprocity page for more information on transferring to Nevada.

Can I provide eyelash extension services with a certification of training? Is a certain license required for this service?

Individuals must be a licensed Cosmetologist or Esthetician in order to perform eyelash extensions in the State of Nevada. Eyelash services are under the scope of practice of a Cosmetologist or Esthetician.

Can I provide microblading services as a cosmetologist or esthetician?

No. Mircoblading is a semi-permanent process that makes eyebrows look thicker and fuller. Microblading is most analogous to tattooing because ink is forced into the skin with a needle during the microblading process. Licensed cosmetologists and estheticians are prohibited (not allowed) from using blades and needles. They are also prohibited from performing any service that affects the body beyond the outermost layers of skin.

Does the state of Nevada offer temporary licenses?

No, the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology does not offer temporary licenses. We do offer fast and efficient services for license mobility from state to state. For more information on transferring your license to Nevada, please visit our Reciprocity page on our website.

How can I apply to become a provider of continuing education?

Please complete the CEU Provider Application. It can also be found on our website on the Popular Links page.

I recently graduated/am transferring my license. Where can I find study information for the tests I am required to take?

Please visit our website for the following testing information: General Testing Information, Practical Test Information, Theory Test Information, and Nevada State Law Test Information.

I renewed my license online. How long until I receive it? Can I come into the office and pick it up?

Online license renewals are processed and mailed within two (2) business days from receipt. Licenses that are renewed online are mailed out form a central office location and are not available for pickup.

Can I open a salon in my home?

Yes. Before opening a salon in your home, you will need to check with your local zoning board to ensure that your locality allows for in-home salons. Once you're given approval by the zoning board, you will need to make sure that you're in compliance with NAC 644.375 of the Nevada Administrative Code. If your home salon satisfies NAC 644.375 all that is left to do is review the salon opening checklist and fill out a salon application on our website.

I renewed my license for 4 years, do I still need to take the Infection Control Course every 2 years?

No. If a license is renewed for four (4) years then the Infection Control Course does not need to be completed until the license is renewed again, four (4) years later.

What forms of payment are acceptable?

We accept credit cards, debit cards, money orders, and business checks.

Government-issued vouchers are accepted with prior approval.

Can my license be placed on hold or inactive while I am not using it?

No. We currently do not have the legislative authority to place licenses on a hold, inactive, or escrow status.

My online license renewal was rejected. Do I need to re-submit payment for the renewal?

Yes, the submitted electronic payment is canceled when an online renewal is rejected. It may take 2-5 business days for the refund to appear in your account.

Applicants should correct the issue(s) with the application and resubmit online.

I received a notification that the photo I uploaded with my online renewal was not acceptable. How do I change the photo so I can process my renewal?

Please login to the online renewal portal and upload a new photo. If you received notification that your renewal application was rejected, your payment was rejected too and payment will need to be resubmitted.

You will need to resubmit by completing the license renewal online.

Where/how can I file a complaint against a salon/licensee/school?

Complaints can be filed by completing the online Consumer Complaint Form.

You can also call the Consumer Complaint Hotline at 1-800-433-1931 . Please leave a detailed voicemail.

How do I obtain an Instructor License?

You can obtain an instructor license in one of three (3) ways:

1- Complete a Student Instructor Program (700 hours); then pass a theory test and the Nevada State Law Test for licensure as an Instructor.

2- Complete a Provisional Instructor Program (500 hours); then pass a theory test and the Nevada State Law Test for licensure as an Instructor.

3- If licensed as an Instructor in another state, you can apply for Reciprocity to transfer your credentials to Nevada. Once approved, applicants must complete the Nevada State Law Test.

Will a prior felony charge prevent me from attending cosmetology school or obtaining a license in the State of Nevada?

Applicants with felony convictions are required to provide the following information:

1- Information related to the Felony Conviction

2- A Final Court Order (or most recent Court Order) related to the Felony

3- If on Parole or Probation, a letter from the government agency or probation officer in charge of rehabilitation stating the current status of your rehabilitation.

4- If the Felony was of a violent nature, the applicant must write a letter explaining the incident and what they have learned for the Executive Director to review.

*NOTE: The Felony Review Process takes around 7-10 business days to complete.

Can I serve alcohol in my salon?

Yes, the Nevada Board of Cosmetology allows for the sale of food or beverages for immediate consumption. It's the responsibility of the salon owner to make sure that they are in compliance with any federal, state, or local laws concerning the sale or possession of alcohol. You may start your research by contacting the Nevada Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

Am I required to have a city or state business license?

Yes, a salon establishment is required to have a business license. Once a salon application is submitted to the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology and an inspection date is set, a receipt can be issued and taken to business licensing.

What is required to provide makeup services in a salon?

Complete the Makeup Artist Registration form. The registration fee is $25.00 annually. To learn more about the Makeup Artist scope of practice, visit here.

Is a special license required to provide services outside of a salon?

Yes, the license is called a Limited License. It allows certain license types to perform limited services outside of a licensed salon. For more information on the Limited License, please click here. To apply now, please click here.

Does my individual room/salon suite require its own salon license?

The policy of the Board is that each physical address has one salon license. If you are renting a room within a salon, the salon will hold the establishment license and you would not need to license your room with the Board.

What can I do if my license has been lost or destroyed?

You can request a duplicate license by submitting a Duplicate License Request form. The fee is $25.00 per duplicate.