MMS Guidance Department
Welcome to the Guidance webpage! We are here to help you.
The Guidance Department consists of three guidance counselors. We work closely with administrators, teachers, and other support staff to meet the social, emotional, and academic needs of all students.
NOTE: Students have the same guidance counselor throughout all three years of middle school.
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!
If there is anything we can do to support you throughout the year, PLEASE stop by to set up an appointment. Our goal is to be a positive presence in the school community and to ensure that everyone feels comfortable using us as a resource. Remember: we are here for YOU!
How do we support the Melican Middle School Community?
- PROVIDE SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
- Foster skill building (making positive peer connections, coping strategies, stress management, self-advocacy).
- Engage students in peer mediation/conflict resolution.
- Assist teachers with effective behavior management strategies.
- Provide counseling support to students on an as-needed basis.
- Assist families with referrals for additional outside counseling support when needed.
- PROVIDE ACADEMIC SUPPORT
- Develop skill building (organization, time management, overall adjustment to middle school routines).
- Work closely with teachers (at weekly team meetings) to discuss and support any students with academic concerns and to plan strategies for success.
- Partner with members of the special education team to support students with IEPs.
How can students access the support of the guidance staff?
- Students can schedule recurring check-in times or stop by to make an as-needed appointment (during study, lunch, and before school are all ideal times).
- Parents/guardians can call to request/arrange an appointment for their child .
- Teachers and/or administrators may refer students to the guidance department based on observations or concerns .
- Guidance counselors will meet all sixth grade students (as well as new 7th/8th grade students) during the students' first year at Melican.
How can parents/guardians contact the guidance staff?
- We are here to support students and families in any way we can. Please contact us with any questions or concerns. We are available through phone or e-mail, and we can also set up an appointment at school if you wish to meet in person.