Pinch of Thought
Welcome to ‘A Pinch of Thought.’ In this article I wish to inform NSA of cool facts and information from different subjects and areas of learning. I hope you enjoy this article and learn something from it. By the way, I'm Noah Morton. You may know me as the Spiritual Life Leader for the Student Council.
Bertrand's Box Paradox
Imagine that I have three boxes with two compartments in each. One with two gold bars, one with two silver bars, and one with one gold and one silver. Imagine that you pick one box and open one compartment. In this compartment there is a gold bar. What is the probability that the other bar is also gold? 1/2, right? WRONG. Let's number each bar as G1 G2 G3 S1 S2 S3. Then look at the table to the right.
You can see from this that the correct answer is 2/3. This is the case because 2 out of 3 times when you picked a gold bar, it was either 1 or 2, and 1 out of 3 times you draw a silver bar, because one out of three ties when you pick a gold bar you pick bar 3.
Get the Sun Glasses!
This article was written by Charity Wickham.
So last month something really cool happened. Shout out to all you USAers! A total eclipse was seen from 16% of the Mainland USA. The path of the Eclipse goes diagonally from the West Coast to the East Coast. For those of you who don’t know what an Eclipse is, it’s when the moon goes in front of the sun blocking the light, leaving the earth in darkness for a few minutes to a few seconds. Even though the moon is blocking the sun you still can’t look directly at it, so you can buy special “Sun Glasses” (pun intended) to observe the Eclipse! The last time a total eclipse had a path across the USA was back in 1918 on June 8th. That year, the Eclipse was first seen by a U.S. Naval Observatory team at Baker City in Oregon. The Eclipse started in Japan and went across the Pacific Ocean over to USA. If you watched the most recent one, then that’s totally cool! This only happens about a century, so this was your only chance! Have a great month!
Note From Noah: When you live in Malaysia. T_T
This article was written by Charity Wickham.
Here is a list of 10 strange sounding words, which you won’t believe exist!
Bumfuzzle - To fluster
Cattywampus - askew
Gardyloo - A warning cry
Taradiddle - Nonsense
Bilingsgate - Abusive Language
Snickersnee - Fight with knives
Widdershins - Counterclockwise
Colleywabbles - Stomachache
Gubbins - Pieces of something
Diphthong - Two syllables joined together to form one sound.
Note from Noah: My favorite is colleywabbles. *thinks* I could convince my siblings it was a chronic disease, and then when I got a stomachache.... *smiles*
Interesting Computer Facts
1. The first electronic computer, ENIAC, weighed more than 27 tons and took up 1800 square feet.
2. Only about 10% of the world’s currency is physical money, the rest only exists on computers.
3. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that you can write using the letters only on one row of the keyboard of your computer.
4. Doug Engelbart invented the first computer mouse in around 1964, which was made of wood.
5. There are more than 5000 new computer viruses are released every month.
6. Around 50% of all Wikipedia vandalism is caught by a single computer program with more than 90% accuracy.
7. If there was a computer as powerful as the human brain, it would be able to do 38 thousand trillion operations per second and hold more than 3580 terabytes of memory.
8. The password for the computer controls of nuclear tipped missiles of the U.S was 00000000 for eight years.
9. Approximately 70% of virus writers are said to work under contract for organized crime syndicates.
10. HP, Microsoft, and Apple have one very interesting thing in common – they were all started in a garage.
11. An average person normally blinks 20 times a minute, but when using a computer he/she blinks only 7 times a minute.
12. The house where Bill Gates lives, was designed using a Macintosh computer.
13. The first ever hard disk drive was made in 1979, and could hold only 5MB of data.
14. The first 1GB hard disk drive was announced in 1980 which weighed about 550 pounds, and had a price tag of $40,000.
15. More than 80% of the emails sent daily are spams.
16. A group of 12 engineers designed IBM PC. They were called, “The Dirty Dozen”.
17. The original name of Windows was Interface Manager.
18. The first microprocessor, created by Intel, was the 4004. It was designed for a calculator, and in that time nobody imagined where it would lead.
19. IBM 5120 from 1980 was the heaviest desktop computer ever made. It weighed about 105 pounds, not including the 130 pounds external floppy drive.
20. Genesis Device demonstration video in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was the the first, entirely computer generated movie sequence in the history of cinema. That studio later become Pixar.
Back to School
This article was written by Danica Holland.
Teacher: Could you please pay a little attention?
Student: I'm paying as little attention as I can.
-Please excuse Susie, she has been sick and under the doctor.
-Please excuse Barry for being. It was his father's fault.
-Cedric will not be in school 'cause he has an acre in his side.
Teacher: Brett, your essay on 'My Dog' is exactly the same as your sister's. Did you copy her?
Brett: No miss. it's the same dog.
Last but in no way least- Most Obedient Student Ever
When Dad came home he was astonished to see Vic sitting on a horse, writing something.
"What on earth are you up doing there?" He asked.
"Well, the teacher told us to write an essay on our favorite animal," answered Vic, "That's why I'm sitting here and Sara's in the goldfish bowl."
1 Emma M. Nutt Day - the first woman telephone operator; Sounds like a nut to me xP
1 National Cherry Popover Day - Cherry Popover? Is that like cherry pie?
2 International Bacon Day - My favorite day of the year. *mouth waters*
2 VJ Day, WWII - Victory over Japan Day
3 Skyscraper Day - That's everyday for me... xP
4 Labor Day - Does this mean I have do do more work?
4 Newspaper Carrier Day - Carry those newspapers!
5 Be Late for Something Day - This is impossible.
5 Cheese Pizza Day - No meat? Sounds vegetarian.
6 Fight Procrastination Day - Amen! Wait-- Shouldn't this be everyday?
6 Read a Book Day - A whole book? Okay! I'll read a picture book! =D
7 National Salami Day - SoLaMi.... shouldn't it be DoReMi?
7 Neither Rain nor Snow Day - But I get sun everyday... -_-
8 International Literacy Day - What if I'm illiterate?
8 National Date Nut Bread Day - Does this mean I need to date Nut Bread? I'll pass.
8 Pardon Day - Time to don the pars men!
9 Teddy Bear Day - I always liked Teddy Roosevelt
10 Grandparent's Day - When your grandparents live halfway around the world... T_T
10 National Pet Memorial Day - I will remember you Oreo! (the one pet my family has had xD)
10 Sewing Machine Day - How do you sew a machine?
10 Swap Ideas Day - But what if I wanna keep mine?
11 9-11 Remembrance - *salutes*
11 Eid-Ul-Adha - What in the world??? *googles* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha
11 Make Your Bed Day - Seriously! #nevermakeshisbedcausehehasabunkbedand hisroomisisolatedandnoonecaresifitsmessybutikeepitcleanjustdontmakemybed
11 No News is Good News Day - For the pessimists of the world...
12 Chocolate Milk Shake Day - Oh yes!!! I need a milkshake...
12 National Video Games Day - Time to waste your life for a full day! :D
13 Defy Superstition Day - We should do this everyday xD
13 Fortune Cookie Day - Defy superstition of use it?
13 National Peanut Day - Peanut butter Jelly Time-- wait it's only peanut day.... uh... Come and get your peanuts everybody, come and get 'em!
13 Positive Thinking Day - 1 + 2 = 3 not -1 + -3 = -4
13 Uncle Sam Day - I WANT YOUUU!
14 National Cream-Filled Donut Day - oh yes... now i want a Boston Creme
15 Make a Hat Day - Right. Make me a hat, guys!
15 Felt Hat Day - hm "On this day, men traditionally put away their felt hats'"- Really? That's surprising! u_u
15 POW/MIA Recognition Day - Don't forget to thank your Veterans!
16 American Legion Day - We have a legion?
16 Collect Rocks Day - Shout out to all you rock collectors
16 Step Family Day - Don't have me any of those.
16 Mayflower Day - the flower or the ship?
16 Mexican Independence Day - Is this when Mexico became apart of America?
16 National Play Doh Day - Reminds me of when I was a little boy
16 Working Parents Day - Shout out to parents who work!
17 Citizenship Day - Cool
17 Constitution Day - Nice
17 National Apple Dumpling Day - AW YEAH
17 National Women's Friendship Day - What about men who have friends?!?!?!
17 Wife Appreciation Day - This is useless for a school paper....
18 National Cheeseburger Day - ooh Now I want a McDonalds Double Cheeseburger...
19 International Talk Like A Pirate Day - Let's make this 'Type Like A Pirate Day' :D
19 National Butterscotch Pudding Day - eh
20 National Pepperoni Pizza Day - Here we go! *mouth waters for the millionth time today*
20 National Punch Day - Punch as in the drink or like Punch your neighbor?
21 International Peace Day - Peace Out!
21 Miniature Golf Day - The only golf I can play xP
21 World Gratitude Day - Give the world some gratitude!!!!
22 Autumn Equinox - My favorite season. <3
22 Business Women's Day - Nice
22 Elephant Appreciation Day - I really wanna ride one....
22 Hobbit Day - For all you Lord of the Rings fans
22 Native American Day - Go America. Woo. u_u
23 Checkers Day - ...discriminating against the chess players of the world????
23 Dog in Politics Day - What.... Tell me I'm seeing things.....
23 International Rabbit Day - I'm hunting Wabbits....
23 Oktoberfest begins in Germany - Any Germanites out there?
24 National Cherries Jubilee Day - Have a jubilee for the cherries?
25 National Comic Book Day - hm... what's my favorite comic.... probably GARFIELD!
26 Johnny Appleseed Day - Apples are nice....
27 Crush a Can Day - then recycle it, i hope xD
28 Ask a Stupid Question Day - Why do we have this day?
28 National Good Neighbor Day - We should do this everyday!!!
29 Confucius Day - He's a pretty interesting guy.
30 National Mud Pack Day - Is this like an alternate to a sixpack?
That is it for this month’s "A Pinch of Thought." I hope you enjoyed reading it! I'll see you next month!