North Andover's Race Amity Day
This year North Andover celebrated Race Amity day on June 10th, 2018 at the NAHS Cafeteria
This student-driven event was a huge success and we are looking forward to expanding and planning the event in future years. Please take a moment to read the Letter of Congratulations from the National Center for Race Amity.
The celebration featured:
- Proclamation from Governor Baker supported by Board of Selectmen and the School Committee
- International desserts and treats
- Cultural Dancing (unfortunately Lion Dancers will not be performing)
- Breaking It Down (a game to promote cross racial/cultural discussion)
- Movie: Race Amity: America’s Other Tradition
- Photo Walks and Art Exhibit
At the end of 2015 the Massachusetts Legislature passed the Race Amity Day Bill (H 2745,Chapter 163 of Acts of 2105). This first in the nation legislation was signed into law and celebrated in a State House ceremony with Governor Charlie Baker in February of 2016. The Bill was the outgrowth of work at the National Center for Race Amity at Wheelock College Boston.