Welcome to English 6 at Hines Middle School! I am excited to have you in class this year. This class will be filled with exploring new worlds through close reading and writing.
Sign-up for Remind: Remind is a one-way messaging system that allows me to text/e-mail important reminders and announcements to parents and students. Since it is one-way, I am the only one who can send messages on it. I will not send reminders for everything. I can help, but ultimately it is your responsibility to keep track of assignments and due dates using your agenda. This is a safe and secure notification system used for English class only. You can join the class’s Remind two ways.
1. Text @Kramerhm to the number 81010. (standard messaging rates apply)
2. Send me an e-mail that you would like to join, and I will add you.
Materials Required: You are to come to class every day with your English notebook, a book to read, pencils, paper, a glue stick, highlighter, and agenda.
English Notebook: You will keep an interactive English notebook that you must bring this to class everyday, as most of your work will be kept in it. It is also a valuable source for reviewing and studying for exams.
Agenda: Every student must have an agenda. They cost is $3 and you may purchase them in the office. If you loose your agenda, a replacement can be purchased at the main office for $5.00. The agenda is an important resource. You will use it to record homework and reminders, as well as a hall pass. No agenda = no pass.
TEXTBOOKS: Text books are kept in the classroom at all times. Students are unable to take one home to complete work. If a you are absent, you can access the online text book.
Instructions for Accessing Online Textbook
1. Go to the Hines Middle School website: www.hines.nn.k12.va.us
2. On the left side, click on the menu item that says Students.
3. At the very bottom of the menu list that opens up, click on Pearson Online Textbook. This will take you to the Pearson Textbook Sign-in Page. (There’s also a link to this from my class website, under the General Class Info > Textbook/Online Textbook tab).
4. In the Username box, type your firstname.lastname (just as you would log onto a computer at school). In the Password box, type your lunch number. Click Sign In.
5. The page that opens will have links to all of your assigned online Pearson textbooks.
If you do not have internet access, any missed work from the text book will have to be completed after school.