About Our School
Queen Elizabeth Regional High School has been serving the communities of Paradise, Topsail, Chamberlains, Manuels, Long Pond, Foxtrap, Kelligrews, Upper Gullies, Lawrence Pond, Seal Cove and Holyrood since 1954. It was the first regional high school in Newfoundland and Labrador and is currently under the trusteeship of the Avalon East School Board.The first Queen Elizabeth Regional High School opened in the Fall of 1954 and at that time had a registration of 108 students in Grades 9 to 11. The graduating class of June 1955 had 12 students. The school was located in the community of Foxtrap across from All Saints Anglican Church and today the building still stands as Fred Kirby Intermediate School, which closed its doors in June 1999.
The second Queen Elizabeth Regional High School was built on the Foxtrap Access Road. Located in the center of Conception Bay South it opened it’s doors in the Fall of 1969. It had a registration of 502 students in Grades 9 to 11. There were 170 students in the graduating class of 1970. This building is now the site of Frank Roberts Intermediate School.
Our present home, located just behind the Frank Roberts School, opened in the Fall of 1989. It had a registration of 812 students in Grades 9 to 12 and a graduating class of 240 in June 1990.
Under the new school realignment policy we now serve the west end of Conception Bay South, from Manuels to Seal Cove. Our 2002-2003 enrolment is 609, which is still large for our province. We continue, as always, to offer an excellent academic and co-curricular program. Presently we have 39 teachers, 2 student assistants, 2 secretaries, 3 custodians and 1 cleaner on staff.
Our school motto: Deo Et Patriae (For God and Country)
Our school colours: Wine and White
Our team name: Pioneers, which is well known throughout the Province
Our mascot: the Bulldog, a symbol of our staff and students’ determination to succeed.
Our Alma Mater:
Oh, Queen Elizabeth Regional High,
Within thy walls our hearts remain,
The happiness we all enjoy,
Thy whispering corridors proclaim,
We pledge our loyalty to thee,
To thee we lift our endless praise,
Dear Alma Mater, thou shalt be,
A light to guide us on our way.
Over its fifty-year run, Queen Elizabeth has had many principals:
Mr. Wayne Rodgers – 2003 to Present
Mr. D. Cooper – 2001 to 2003
Mr. K. Wilson – 2000 to 2001
Mr. R. Harvey – 1983 to 2000
Mr. F. Rowe – 1981 to 1983
Mr. D. Carmichael – 1974 to 1981
Mr. R. Tilley – 1971 to 1974
Mr. A. Chaulk – 1969 to 1971
Dr. T. Pope – 1967 to 1969
Mr. G. Evans – 1964 to 1967
Mr. C. Hatcher – 1957 to 1964 and
Dr. O. K. Crocker – 1954 to 1957.