A.P. U.S. History
The following required academic assignments are to be conducted during the summer months that precede the fall semester. These reading/writing assignments are to be taken from the United States History, Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination (AMSCO) book. The review book is to be checked out from Mr. Cox before final spring exams and before the spring semester ends.
Read the United States History, Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination (AMSCO) book
Students are encouraged to follow the ten week reading/pacing guide below so as to avoid the difficulties associated with completing these assignments at the last minute. Each student when they come to pick up their book will be assigned one of the 31 sections covered in the AMSCO book. DO NOT MARK/WRITE IN AMSCO BOOK
Students are required to do the following from their assigned section:
- Write a 500 word summary of their section which includes major events and people from the time period (must be typed).
- Create five questions from the content using one of the following prompts (choose/underline your prompt and use a separate prompt for each question, must be typed): “analyze” (Bloom Level 4), “distinguish” (Bloom Level 4), “compare/contrast” (Bloom Level 4), “assess” (Bloom Level 6), “compile” (Bloom Level 5), “evaluate” (Bloom Level 6), “interpret” (Bloom Level 6), “determine” (Bloom Level 6), Be prepared to pose and answer your questions to the class before the section is covered during the academic year.
- Post your summary and questions on the class period site on Schoology by the due date posted on the message board. Each student in the class is required to answer one question from each student (of their own choosing from the list of 5 created by their classmates) and post it on the message board by the due date posted on the board.
Document Based Question Essays:
Students are also required to write two document based question (DBQ) essays. One will be assigned by the instructor and one chosen by the student. Explanations for the completion of the essays are found on pages xxxiii-xxxv. All essays must be typed and turned in on the first day of class when the course starts in fall semester.
DBQ #1 – pages 64-67
DBQ #2 – pages 127-129
DBQ #3 – pages 226-228
DBQ #4 – pages 312-314
DBQ #5 – pages 315-317
DBQ #6 – pages 400-403
DBQ #7 – pages 404-407
DBQ #8 – pages 549-551
DBQ #9 – pages 552-555
DBQ #10 – pages 649-652
Summer Assignments Check List:
_____ 1. Read section assigned in AMSCO book
_____ 2. Type 2 assigned DBQ’s
_____ 3. Write 500 word summary of assigned section and post on Schoology class period site
_____ 4. Create five questions from assigned section using the correct prompts and post on Schoology class period site
_____ 5. Answer one question from each student (from the 5 created by their classmates) and post it on Schoology site
_____ 6. Prepare for Section I Multiple Choice “Practice Examination” located on pages 702-720 in the AMSCO book
On the first day of class in the fall semester, student must be prepared to:
- Take the fifty-five question, Section I Multiple Choice “Practice Examination” at the end of the review book (pages 702-720).
- Turn in to the instructor 2 typed DBQ’s, (The typed 500 word summary of assigned section, 5 typed questions and answers to classmates questions should already be posted on Schoology)
Note: Failure to pick up your summer APUSH review book (United States History, Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination) and completion of the reading assignments, two typed DBQ essays, and message board postings will result in the student forfeiture of the course at the beginning of the fall semester.
Mr. Cox can be reached at: email@example.com if you have any questions. This assignment is posted on Mr. Cox’s course site on the Schoology (click on your APUSH summer assignment class period). Check Schoology/GMail throughout the summer for updates from Mr. Cox. See you in September!