Watch D.O.G.S. & MOMS on a Mission
***This program is on hold for the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19.***
Follow these steps to volunteer as a Watch DOG or MOMS on a Mission
1. Make sure you have completed the NISD Background Check!
2. Order your Watch D.O.G.S. shirt! https://dadsofgreatstudents.com/general/ or purchase your MOMS shirt from the Cox front office. Wear your official uniform shirt on your volunteer day.
3. Sign up for a volunteer day - TBA for 2020-2021
If you missed our presentation on Curriculum Night, you can view it here!
ALL ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) is a nationally recognized, non-profit, father involvement initiative that is under the direction of the National Center for Fathering. The program was created for the purpose of encouraging dads, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures to become more involved in schools. The men who volunteer serve as positive male role models for our students while also enhancing our school's security. Volunteers commit to serving at least one full school day each year. On their day of participation, Watch D.O.G.S. report to the school office wearing their Watch D.O.G.S. t-shirt, so that they are easily identifiable. They spend their day involved with activities such as helping with morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up, reading with students, working with students on flashcards, playing at recess, eating lunch with students, and monitoring entrances and hallways. They have some special time dedicated to being with their own kids, but they spend most of their day mentoring to others.
- Raise the banner of positive fathering through the forum of schools across America and the world.
- Awaken fathers to the values and benefits of committed fathering.
- Change culture by where every student has a father or father-figure to connect with in a positive way at school.
- Help every school in America be positively impacted by the committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their student's life.
- Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of a father or father-figure enhances a sense of security at the building for students and staff and helps create an environment conducive to learning.
- Fathers get a glimpse of their students’ everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing. As a result, they can learn to relate better to their student and hopefully connect with them.
- Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life in three critical areas including academic performance, self-esteem, social behavior.
- Students gain a positive male role model. Many students do not have a father-figure present in their home and these students benefit when a positive male role model is present.