Guideline for parents
What to do if your child has lice
Guideline for Parent/Guardian
1. _____Check all family members for lice or nits (lice eggs) in a well- lit area, using a magnifying glass, if available
2. ____ Treat hair with pediculicide, FOLLOWING PACKAGE DIRECTIONS. Be sure to treat hair over sink using towel to cover eyes, NOT in bathtub or shower
3. ____ If child has nits (lice eggs), may add small amount of vinegar to rinse water, then wrap hair in warm towel for 30 minutes
4. ____ After treatment, remove all nits and/or live lice with fine tooth comb or fingernails. Be sure to put removed lice/nits in plastic bag and dispose of it immediately.
5. ____ Machine wash all clothing and bed linens child has used in last 3 days in HOT water and dry in HOT dryer. This includes coats, hats, scarves and towels
6. ____ Put pillows and stuffed animals that child sleeps with in HOT dryer
7. ____ Seal all items that cannot be washed and dried in plastic bag for up to 14 days
8. ____ Soak combs, brushes, rollers, barrettes, head bands and other hair items in HOT soapy water for 1 hour or soak them in pediculicide
9. ____ Vacuum floors, rugs, upholstered furniture, mattresses and car seat- (empty vacuum bag immediately).
10. ____ Check package directions on pediculicide for possible re-treatment in 7-10 days
11. ____Consult with your child’s doctor if nits reappear as well as if your child has any allergies (environmental, seasonal, medication, or food)
12. _____Notify school nurse as student will need to be checked by nurse before coming back to class.