1250 Oglethorpe Avenue
Athens, GA 30606
Who are we:
- Rutland Academy GNETS is a member of the Georgia Network for Educational and Therapeutic Support. We are a program serving students with emotional and behavioral disorders which require therapeutic interventions due to the severity of one or more of the characteristics of their disability. Our students reside in the following school system zones: Barrow, Clarke, Commerce City, Elbert, Greene, Jackson, Jefferson City, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Social Circle City, and Walton.
- The mission of Rutland Academy is to provide a therapeutic and educational environment that empowers students to be academically, behaviorally, and socially successful through collaboration with regional school systems, families, and community organizations
- In 1970, the first GNETS program, the Rutland Center, was established in Athens to serve as a prototype for the statewide network that now exists. Based on a model developed by Dr. Mary M. Wood, the program was funded by the State of Georgia and the U.S. Department of Education to serve students from two to 14 years of age. Additional pilot programs were initiated in Brunswick and Savannah in 1971. By 1976, 24 GNETS programs were established throughout Georgia and then expanded to serve adolescents over the age of 14 in 1979.
- The Georgia Network for Educational and Therapeutic Support (GNETS) is comprised of 24 programs which support the local school systems’ continuum of services for students with disabilities, ages 3-21. The programs provide comprehensive educational and therapeutic support services to students who might otherwise require residential or other more restrictive placements due to the severity of one or more of the characteristics of the disability category of emotional and behavioral disorders (EBD).
How a student can attend Rutland Academy:
- Rutland Academy is part of the public school system. You must make contact with your home school systems’ Special Education Director and discuss the referral process. Below you will find the contact information for each system we serve.
- Barrow: 770.867.4527
- Clarke: 706.548.3550
- Commerce City: 706.335.5500
- Elbert: 706.213.4053
- Greene: 706.453.7434
- Jackson: 706.367.5151
- Jefferson City: 706.367.5209
- Madison: 706.745.0120
- Morgan: 706.362.0752
- Oconee: 706.769.3506
- Social Circle City: 770.464.2731
- Walton: 770.266.4500
- Rutland Academy provides services for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. We are housed in a state-of-the art facility which opened in January 2009. Our program combines the Georgia Performance Standards with positive therapeutic supports. Our teachers, paraprofessionals, art and music therapist receive specialized training to support the unique needs of the students we serve. We establish exit criteria for each student during their initial IEP meeting and strive to support our students’ goal of returning to their home school.