2019 Art 2 Science Camp
We're looking forward to this years camp! Below is previously emailed information, all in one place. Throughout the camp we will be taking pictures of students engaged in the activities. They will be posted for you to view here and linked from facebook. If you'd like to know more about past activities and things you can try at home, check out our growing pinterest page.
Interactive Campus Map to find parking, Jordan Hall
Waivers: Please print and fill in required information - bring with you to first day of camp!
Friday Field Trip
We will leave promptly at 9am on Friday and should be back at 5pm. We will meet parents in the Bulla Parking lot for pick up. Parking pass
We will be visiting the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts and the Kalamazoo Valley Museum.
Dear Art 2 Science Family,
We look forward to your participation in the 2019 Art 2 Science Camp sponsored by the Joint Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics, and held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame.
We hope that this program will provide your children with a unique and creative scientific experience in a university setting. Please read the following letter carefully, as it contains important information for you and your child(ren).
1. Directions for drop-off/pick-up:
A. Monday morning you will need to park in a visitor lot (see linked map above) and check in your child(ren) at Jordan Hall of Science. When you first arrive, there will be teens to tell you which group(s) your child/(ren) are in. You will then proceed to the corresponding table to check in with the counselor for that group(s).
You will be able to meet the counselor who will shepherd them all week, and we will ask for names of people that are allowed to check out your child(ren). If they will be walking/biking home (or to your office) you can allow them to check themselves out. Monday morning check-in is from 8:15-9:00am. Please bring signed waivers to streamline registration.
B. Tuesday-Friday mornings, you will not need to park as we will be having a drive-thru style drop-off at the library circle (see map). Check in Tues-Fri is from 8:45-9:00am.
C. For pick-up each day, you will need to park in a visitor lot and sign out your child(ren) in the Jordan Hall of Science lecture hall unless they have permission to sign themselves out. Sign out will be done by group so that you can touch base with the counselor each day. If you have more than 1 child, you’ll need to visit each group in the lecture hall. Once they are signed out, they are no longer the responsibility of JINA-CEE. If your child fails to sign out, we will call you to ensure their location. Check-out is between 4:55-5:15 pm.
D. Please be courteous, patient, and on time. We have 150 campers this year and it will take some time to process everyone.
2. Lunch and an afternoon snack will be provided, but your child(ren) are welcome to bring their own lunch and/or snack if they don’t like the offering that day or have strict dietary restrictions. Each lunch will include vegetarian options and most will include a lactose-free option, however, we are not able to accommodate vegan or gluten-free lunches at this time. No provided food will contain nuts, but we can’t guarantee whether it was processed in nut-free factories. Campers will be given a water bottle to fill throughout the day. On Friday, we will have Subway sandwiches in Kalamazoo.
3. Cell phones are not allowed at camp. The students will have a full day of activities to occupy their minds. If we see a camper using a phone, it will be taken and returned at the end of the day.
4. Clothing: Dress your child in comfortable and weather appropriate play clothes. There will be some walking and they will be working in labs. Please have your child wear closed toed comfortable shoes (gym shoes). We will be using regulated chemicals that require PPE (personal protective equipment). We will be providing lab coats, gloves and/or goggles as needed. However, to comply with safety, everyone will need to wear long pants (or full length skirt) during activities.
5. Please DO NOT send your child with money – there is nothing they need to purchase.
6. If your child is sick, please do not send them that day.
7. If your child normally takes ADHD medication during the school year, please have them take it during camp. While we strive to create a fun, interactive learning environment, the structure and expectations are similar to that of school.
8. This year we received a large number of requests for specific children to be grouped together. While we try to accommodate requests, we can't make any guarantees as many factors are taken into consideration when forming groups to provide the best experience for all children.
9. On Friday we will be taking a field trip to museums in Kalamazoo. We will be asking parents to volunteer as extra chaperones.
Your child’s safety, learning, and enjoyment of the JINA Art 2 Science Camp are our highest priorities. By supporting the items listed above, together, we can make this camp a terrific week. If you have questions prior to the camp, please email me for a faster response. During the week of camp, you can contact me at (574) 631-5326, which will be forwarded to my cell phone.
We look forward to meeting you and your family this summer!