Civil Liberties, Rights and Legal Assistance
- A national organization with chapters in each state, the ACLU advocates for and defends the rights of all people under the guaranteed protections of the Constitution and laws of the United States.
- A free and confidential legal resource service helping LGBTQ+ people and those living with HIV/Aids. Call, email or chat with a specially trained volunteer representative to receive legal assistance and/or referrals.
Pop-Up ID Project Call 1-800-455-GLAD.
- An initiative between GLAD, MTPC, and Ropes & Gray which provides free, legal representation for transgender people to change their legal name and gender on federal and state documents.
How to Change Names and Gender Markers
To file for a court-ordered legal name change and/or gender markers in Massachusetts:
- Pop-Up ID Project: A GLAD, MTPC, Ropes & Gray collaborative project to assist transgender people in changing legal name and gender markers.
- MTPC Change Legal Name/Gender Marker: An MTPC link, describes court process, and necessary paperwork and forms for adults and youth to change name and gender markers.
- Fenway Health: MA Quick Guide to Change ID: A quick-guide for changing names and gender markers on federal and state forms, for both US and non-US citizens.