The NEF Grant Applications for 2019-20 are now open! Applications will be accepted from November 19, 2018 until January 11, 2019.
Awarded grants will be funded on July 1, 2019 for implementation in the 2019-20 school year.
The mission of the Naperville Education Foundation (NEF) is “to encourage creativity, innovation, and excellence in our students.” The Naperville Education Foundation’s Annual Grant Awards are funded by community donations. Grant applications will be reviewed by teams made up of current and former NEF Trustees, D203 faculty, staff and administration, community members and District retirees.
PLEASE NOTE: Awarded grants will be funded on July 1, 2019 for implementation in the 2019-20 school year.
GRANT CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA
This year, NEF will accept projects that correlate to D203 curriculum in two categories:
1. Social Emotional Learning
- For this category, grants may provide opportunities within other curricula that reinforce SEL. For example, a grant might provide students with creative or unique opportunities to communicate new learning about SEL through writing or other media. An SEL grant that includes opportunities in Literacy may be eligible for the Alan D. Krashesky Prize.
2. STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
3. Fine Arts
4. Literacy (Funded by the Jeanine Nicarico Memorial Literacy Fund)
The grant review teams evaluate applications on the following criteria, weighted equally:
(1) Relevance to District 203 curricula
(2) Level of active engagement of students and effect on student learning
(3) Level of innovation and creativity
(4) Number of students affected
(5) Quality and detail of the evaluation
(6) Clarity of the budget
GRANT PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
- Applications will be accepted from November 19, 2018 until January 11, 2019 .
- All applications are to be submitted through the NEF 2019-20 Grant Application Google Form.
- Only applications submitted through the Google Form will be accepted and must be completed within one sitting. However, you may use this Google Doc version of the form to prepare your answers in advance. Copy and paste your answers from the Google Doc into the Google Form when you are ready and submit. Applications will not be considered unless they are submitted through the Google Form.
- Be specific and provide as many details as possible to assist with the thorough evaluation of your application by the review teams.
- Write for the lay person and do not assume that evaluators are district personnel. Don’t use acronyms without explaining their meaning.
- NEF may fund the purchase of technology only if it will be essential to implement a new or creative project in the classroom. If your project includes technology—hardware and software—it must be approved by the Department of Technology. Be precise and specific with your description of the technology associated with your project. If the IT Department has any questions about your project, they will contact you directly.
- Grant applications will only be accepted when initiated by District 203 students or staff.
- Student submissions must be under the supervision of a teacher or administrator Project Lead.
- All applications must be associated with at least one D203 school and be approved by the principal.
- Applications for previously funded grants will not be accepted.
- Grants are not awarded for salaries, furniture, fundraising efforts, transportation, or storage materials.
- Materials provided by the grant become the property of the school where the grant originated and are not the property of any individual or group.
At the conclusion of your project, you will be required to submit a report consisting of an evaluation form and financial recap. Please remember to keep any documentation (invoices, receipts, surveys, videos, photographs, etc.) that may be needed to complete this report. Any unused project funds should be returned to NEF.
All applications are to be submitted through the NEF 2019-20 Grant Application Google Form here.
NOTE: Click here for a Google Doc version of the application that you can use to individually or collaboratively develop your grant. When you are ready to submit your grant for review, copy and paste the responses from the Google Doc into the Google Form.
Questions? Call Wendy Goettsch, NEF, at (630) 420-3086 or by email at NEFGrants@naperville203.org