Week of January 22
- Fitness Week This week is Fitness Week! We LOVE Fitness Week. This week is about eating healthy, getting plenty of exercise, and making choices that will help our bodies and minds become stronger. We show our team camaraderie by wearing our color each day: light blue. It doesn't have to be our Fitness Week Shirt, but we should definitely all wear it on Friday when we do our Fun Run.
- Be sure to fill out the Eat a Rainbow Chart and document your daily exercise. Those will be due, with a parent signature, at the end of the week.
Science Quiz This Thursday we will have a science quiz. The study guide will come home on Tuesday.
Week of January 8
Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and the time off from school. Although it seems like we have a long stretch of the school year left, this is the time of year that absolutely flies by. It's going to be June before we know it.
We'll be picking some things up where we left off, such as continuing studying and researching about Colonial America. In other areas, we are starting fresh, such as a brand new module in math: multiplication and division of fractions. I decided it would be best to wait until after break to start The Sign of the Beaver, instead of starting it before break and finishing it after. I absolutely love this book and I'm so excited to read it with the kids.
- We will be using wire hangers (from the dry cleaners) and boxes (small shoebox or smaller) for a couple of upcoming projects. If you have any lying around the house, let us take it off your hands for you. :)
Week of December 11
Tests this week:
- Science on Wednesday (study guide will come home Monday)
- 13 Colonies Thursday (identify the location of the 13 colonies on a map)
- Module 3 End of Module math test Thursday or Friday (students and I will discuss which day we will have the test).
Our Winter Sing will be held this Wednesday, December 13. There will be two shows: 8:30 and 1:00.
Students should bring in a sweater, sweatshirt, or shirt to decorate for our Ugly Sweater song on Monday. I have fabric glue and safety pins, so the decorations don't have to be permanent. Please bring in any decorations you have at home that you think will make our ugly sweaters shine! If you have any extra safety pins that would be helpful. One hanger would be great too.
Week of December 4
- In honor of our Winter Sing song, "Ugly Sweater," we will be making our own ugly sweater in class. Students please bring in a plain sweater, sweatshirt, long-sleeve shirt (or even t-shirt will work) and we will decorate them next Monday, December 11. If you have anything at home that you think would make great ugly sweater decorations, please bring that in. If you have an amazing idea for your ugly sweater and you think it would be best to make it at home, that's fine too. We can use safety pins if it's an article of clothing you want to turn back into a non-ugly sweater after the winter sing.
- Please check This Week in Room 28 for upcoming test dates.
Week of November 13
Food Drive this week:
- Please bring in canned and dry foods for our annual food drive!
This Wednesday is picture retake day. If you do not like your photos, bring them back and retake them. Flyer is in Weekly Work Folder
- Colonial Day is this Thursday. There will be a short performance in the auditorium from 8:15-8:45. We hope you can attend! Parents who are volunteering: please report to the location at the scheduled time as was designated on the volunteer form that went home two weeks ago. If you have ANY questions about where to go or when, please send me a Remind message or email and I will let you know. We do ask that volunteers also do their best to don colonial wear.
- Have a wonderful Thanksgiving break! Enjoy the whole week!
- Students should continue to read daily over the break and practicing math on Khan Academy is highly encouraged.
Week of November 6
It's Conference Week!
If you have any questions about your conference time, please send me a message and I can confirm your appointment. Most of my conferences are scheduled back to back. I will do my very best to keep to the schedule and ask that you help me do that by being on time. If you have an early morning conference time, I will open the back gate for you. I look forward to meeting with each and every one of you. Remember: students are expected to attend the conference too.
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday are minimum days. That means that students are dismissed at 12:30. There is only a break for recess; there is no lunch break. Tuesday is a regular 1:30 dismissal.
Weekly Work Folders
Weekly Work Folders will not be coming home this week.
Week of October 30
Report Card Conferences
A green sheet with your conference appointment time will be coming home in your child's Weekly Work folder on Monday, October 30. Please sign and return the bottom portion only as a confirmation that you received the sheet.
The Halloween Parade will begin at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday, October 31. The parade typically ends by about 9:00 a.m. Students should come to school in their costumes, and must bring clothes to change into after the parade. We will be having a little brunch in the classroom immediately following the parade.
Colonial Day is Thursday, November 16. Resident School presentation will be held at 8:15 in the auditorium, followed by a full day of activities. Thank you so much to the many, many parent volunteers that will help make this day possible.
What to wear:
Keep it simple. Girls: long skirts, white blouses, dark shoes, an apron if you have one. We will provide bonnets. Boys: Dark pants rolled up to knee (black sweats work great too), white shirt or a button down dress shirt, long white socks, dark shoes We will provide vests and hats. Try to find something around the house, there's no need to buy anything. If you do go out, I've had a ton of luck finding pieces at the Salvation Army.
Week of October 23
- Report Card Conferences are right around the corner. A "conference appointment request" sheet is coming home this week in your child's Weekly Work Folder. Please choose several time slots you are available to meet and return by Friday, October 27.
Week of October 9
Middle School Tours are in full swing. If you are interested in observing middle schools or if you are trying to make a decision about which school or program to enroll your child, I recommend you attend the school tours you are interested in. They will only last a couple more weeks.
Week of October 2
Our grade categories on Jupiter Ed are evolving.
As more details emerge about our new report card, you may notice some changes on Jupiter Ed. For example, since there is an Overall Reading and Overall Math grade on the report card, I've added those categories on Jupiter. Reading grades will go into the overall reading grade, then those same grades will also be sorted into "Foundational Skills" or "Meaning from Text" based on what standards they cover. You may also see different parts of the same test in different categories depending on the standards. The same goes for math.
In addition, I've added the categories for the Standards for Mathematical Practices
The eight Standards for Mathematical Practice are:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
For more information on the math practices, please read the attachment below.
Week of September 25
This Thursday, September 28 is picture day. Order forms will be going home on Monday. You can either purchase online or return the order form by Thursday. Students take individual photos as well as a class picture.
Science Test on Wednesday
Students will work on a study guide in class on Monday. They are encouraged to review all assigned reading (found on Google Classroom: Physical Science) and should review their composition books as well. Students will not be permitted to use their notes on this test. Original test date: Tuesday. Kids voted to change it to Wednesday.
Progress reports are coming home Monday. Please sign and return JUST THE YELLOW SHEET by Friday.
Week of September 18
5th Grade Sweatshirts!
Orders are due this Wednesday. No late orders will be accepted so don't miss out!
ELA Comp Books coming home!
I wanted to give you the opportunity to review some of your child's writing. Please review their comp book with them, sign the half-sheet in the Weekly Work Folder, then return the comp book by Wednesday so that we can use it in class. Thanks!
No School this Thursday, September 21.
Week of September 11
5th Grade Sweatshirts! :)
It's time to order 5th grade sweatshirts! This will be the only opportunity to order so don't miss out. All orders are due by September 20. Please place payments in a clearly marked envelope with your child's name and room number on it. Payments should go directly into the POWW payment box in the office.
Middle School Tours
A very important schedule of Middle School Tours is coming home in your child's Weekly Work Folder today. Be sure to hang onto this if you are interested in visiting middle schools. Your child is welcome to accompany you on the tour, I just ask that you let me know ahead of time. Students are marked absent until they return to school, then it is changed to an excused tardy as soon as they arrive at school.
I see that many of you have already logged into JupiterEd to view your child's grades. I hope that you find this online grade book to be a valuable resource. Jupiter will give you constant access to the most up to date grades. If you notice that your child has received a 0 for an assignment, that means that it has not been turned in. But don't worry! They can make it up! JupiterEd is a great way for students to easily see assignments that they have not completed and take care of them before too much time has passed. Ideally, I would like students to make up missed assignments within a week so that they don't start piling up. We will be checking Jupiter in class regularly and I encourage you to do the same.
You may notice that some of the subject categories are a bit different this year. I have created the subjects in Jupiter to align with the categories that will appear on the new report card we are using starting this year. There will be more information on that at a later date.
Some of our Pull-Outs will begin this week. Please refer to the schedule below. It is important for students to wear "school appropriate" shoes to school every day (shoes they can comfortably run and play in) but it is especially important on Thursdays and Fridays when we have PE and Psychomotor. We do quite a bit of running. Uggs, Converse, and boots do not provide the kids with the support they need and we do not recommend them.
Schedule for Weekly Pull-Outs
Ballroom 12:45-1:30 (Does not start immediately)
Computer Wise Kids 1:45-2:30
Library (alternating Fridays) 9:15-9:45
Week of August 28, 2017
Zearn Homework News As you know, we complete one Zearn lesson each night prior to the lesson being taught in class. In order to account for Monday's in-class lesson, students are assigned TWO lessons on Thursdays. They are expected to finish one on Thursday in order to be prepared for Friday's lesson, but they can complete the second lesson anytime before Monday morning. This gives students who do not want any work on the weekends the opportunity to finish all of the work on Thursday. For other students, they may prefer to complete the second lesson on Sundays so that it is fresh in their mind for Monday. The choice is theirs.
Birthday Treat News Students are welcome to bring in treats for their birthdays. Please be sure that the treats meet the health guidelines set forth by LAUSD (I believe that paperwork was attached to an email/call home last week). I simply ask that you:
- Contact me at least the day before to let me know you'd like to bring in treats.
- Have the student bring the treats in with them in the morning as we typically celebrate birthdays at recess.
- Bring treats that do NOT need to be plated. They should be very easy to pass out.
- Please consider that we have students who are STRICT gluten and dairy free (nut-free would be good too).
- Remember: birthday treats do NOT have to be food!
Week of August 21, 2017
We are already onto Week 2!
Back to School Night will be held this Tuesday, August 22. At 6:00, there will be a meeting in the auditorium for 5th grade parents only, regarding gifted verification for middle school. Upper grade Back to School Night will be held from 6:30-7:30 in Room 28. I hope you all can make it as we will be going over some useful information for the year.
Monday, August 28 is a minimum day with a 12:30 dismissal.
We will be having our first math assessment either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week (9/29 or 9/30). It will cover lessons 1-8 of our first module. Students may bring home their Eureka books and math composition books nightly to study as long as they remember to bring both back the next day.
Week of August 15, 2017
Welcome to the Room 28 Website!!!! Our website is full of important and useful information that will help make your year in 5th Grade a success. Be sure to check in each week to find out what's new in Room 28. Our class blog is a great way for me to keep parents and students informed about the big events both at our school and in our classroom. You can even find nightly homework assignments here.
Parents: please take the time to click on the link to the left and fill out the "Getting to Know Your Child" form. I would love to have these done by Monday, August 21, but the sooner I get to know your child, the better!
In addition, I would love for all Room 28 families to join "Remind," a handy app to receive the most important info coming from our classroom. This will be especially important for our 5th grade year and all of the special events and activities that you will definitely want to know about. When you sign up, please add your name as "Child's Name/Relationship." For example, my mom would sign up as "Jennifer's Mom." This makes my searches so much easier! To sign up, open up the web browser on your phone and type in rmd.at/e93a34 or follow the directions on the back of my welcome letter (it's on bright orange paper).
Our Open House is coming up quickly! I hope to see you all in Room 28 next Tuesday, August 22, from 6:30-7:30.
I really look forward to our year together. There are a lot of exciting events for us on the horizon!