25 Varney Road, North Berwick, ME 03906 Phone: (207) 676-9811 Fax: (207) 676-3213
RtI (Response to Intervention)
RtI is a systematic and data-based method used to identify, define, and address students' academic difficulties in the general education setting.
RtI practices are built on the belief that all students can learn.
RtI is comprised of 6 core principles:
1. Regular screening/benchmarking for all students
2. Scientific, research-based classroom instruction
3. Multi-tier model of service delivery
4. Regular progress monitoring
5. Instructional decisions based on data
6. Targeted intervention coordinated with the classroom instruction
Tier 1 (75-85%) is regular classroom instruction that is individualized to meet the needs of all students.
Tier 2 (10-15%) intervention is provided in addition to classroom instruction. Reading and/or math support occurs either within or outside the classroom.
Tier 3 (5-10%) intervention is more intensive and is provided in addition to classroom instruction. It is direct and explicit. This supplemental instruction is provided outside the classroom.
Tier 4 (<5%) intervention would be a referral for a special education evaluation. These students require additional observation and assessment.