Building your College List
Likely - Target - Reach
When building your college list and preparing your college applications you should always consider the following:
- You want to attend this college. Never apply to a college you would not be happy attending.
- You have visited this college. It always looks different from the pictures. Set foot on campus, take the tour and attend the information session.
- You meet all the requirements for the recommended coursework.
- The college major you want is offered and available
- You meet every requirement for admission
- You submit a complete application before the deadline
Your SAT or ACT score is significantly above the average that was accepted last year
Your unweighted GPA is significantly above the average accepted last year
Think about applying to a school that offers rolling admission. Admission decisions are given on a continuous cycle, so submit your application early to receive an early admission decision.
Your SAT or ACT score is at or about the average that was accepted last year
Your unweighted GPA is about the average accepted last year
Your SAT or ACT score is slightly below the average that was accepted last year
Your unweighted GPA is slightly below the average accepted last year
You have successfully challenged yourself in your academic coursework
A college that has an acceptance percentage less than 25%, meaning they accept less than 25% of those who apply, is a “DREAM” school for any student, no matter how high your
GPA or test sores.