August 2, 2018
Dear Rohwer Families,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year. We hope you have had a great summer! The Rohwer staff is looking forward to an amazing school year. Our district-wide theme this year is #BeKind. We will be focusing on different ways that we can demonstrate kindness to each other and will celebrate students who are demonstrating this character trait throughout the school year.
We have several changes to the Rohwer staff this year and we would like to welcome the following new Rohwer Staff Members: Miss Courtney Cloyed will be teaching 3rd grade this year and was a student teacher in Mrs. Judernatz's class last year. Mr. Jake Besch will be our part-time PE teacher that we share with Reagan Elementary. Mr. Besch has been a substitute teacher at Rohwer for the last few years.
Grade Level Sections :
- Kindergarten - Mrs. Andresen, Mrs. Muller, Mrs. Pearson, Mrs. Watkins
- 1st grade - Mrs. Gabrielson, Mrs. Krobot, Mrs. Slosson
- 2nd grade - Mrs. Heusel, Mrs. Skibinski, Miss Sobota, Mrs. Vandenberg
- 3rd grade - Miss Cloyed, Mrs. Judernatz, Mrs. Palmesano
- 4th grade - Mrs. Andersen, Miss Kober, Mrs. Purcell, Mrs. Schuchardt
- 5th grade - Mrs. Loberg, Mr. Nelson, Mrs. Stenger, Mrs. Trull
Teacher assignments are based on many factors including academic need, a blending of students, and gender balance. Following these considerations, placement is assigned. We have great teachers, supportive parents, and super kids. Please know much thought has been given to the placement of each child. Class lists will be posted on the doors at Rohwer on Thursday, August 9th at noon.
Back to School Night:
Back to School Night will be held at Rohwer on Thursday, August 9th from 5:30 - 6:30 pm. This is an informal gathering - a chance to tour the school and meet the teachers. You may bring your child's school supplies. If you have important information to share with your child's teachers, please schedule a separate appointment time. The Rohwer PTO and other community organizations will have information available in the gym. There will be opportunities to view spirit wear and purchase Kona Ice. You can also print out the PTO forms included below for the fundraiser and volunteer opportunities and turn them in.
- School begins Monday, August 13th at 8:30 am.
- School hours are 8:30 - 3:45 on M, T, Th, F and 8:30 - 2:15 on W.
- Morning supervision begins at 8:15. The first bell rings at 8:20 and the tardy bell rings at 8:30. Students arriving after the tardy bell rings will need to enter the school through the front doors.
- Afternoon supervision is from 3:45 - 3:55. Please make sure your children are picked up by 3:55.
First Day Procedures:
- Drop your child off or bring your child to his/her assigned area (see traffic protocol information attachments below.)
- Students will line up by grade level at the front entrance and at the southwest entrance - depending on your assigned drop off zone. Staff members from each grade level will be at the entrances and will escort students to their individual classrooms at 8:30. We ask that parents not enter the building with students on that day to limit the number of visitors.
- We encourage you to make breakfast and lunch account deposits using www.myschoolbucks.com website or by dropping off cash or check at Open House. Please write checks to Millard Hot Lunch. Write your child/children's name(s) in the memo section of the check. A food service representative will be available to take your deposit. You can check the MPS website for menu listings.
- We ask that all families wait until after Labor Day to start coming to school and having lunch with their child. This will provide us time to make sure students know all procedures and routines before adding visitors in the cafeteria.
- Safety is always a concern for us - it's our #1 rule! We take special care during peak times in the morning and afternoon to ensure everyone's safety. Please take time to read the information note about morning and afternoon protocols. We also ask that you follow the listed safety guidelines whenever children are being dropped off or picked up at school.
- Use your family's assigned zone for dropping off and picking up children whenever possible. Staff members will be monitoring all areas for safety.
- Observe all posted signage related to traffic.
- Always remain in your car when dropping off/picking up your child(ren) along the curbs. Staff members will be available to assist your children in exiting or entering a vehicle.
- Children should exit/enter cars through the curbside door only.
- Please observe arrival and dismissal times --- it's important to have your child at school on time as classes start promptly at 8:30. Dismissal time is also important as staff members have additional responsibilities at the end of each school day.
Mark your calendars for Thursday, August 30th for Curriculum Night. Kindergarten, 1st grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade will offer a face-to-face meeting, 2nd grade will offer a "flipped" meeting through the use of technology. Classroom teachers will be providing additional information to families about their Curriculum Night option.
It is such a pleasure for me to serve as your principal. Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions or concerns. It is the goal of all Rohwer staff to provide your child with the best educational experience possible. Our focus is excellence for all. I look forward to working with each of you during the 2018-2019 school year.
This year the theme at Rohwer and Millard Public Schools is #BeKind. Mayor Jean Stothert will proclaim August 24th as Be Kind Day throughout the city of Omaha. We have a few fun activities planned for this day and could use your help. We are looking for Pie donations. If you are able to provide a store or restaurant purchased pie on this day for students, please click on the Sign Up Genius link below. All donations are greatly appreciated.
***If your child has a food allergy, please let your classroom teacher know so we can plan for an alternate snack.
Traffic Flow & Expectations
Please review our traffic expectations. With everyone's help and support we can make our morning drop off and afternoon pick up run smoothly.
Rohwer Elementary School guarantees a world-class education where each student develops and applies superior academic and life skills necessary to maximize individual excellence through:
A safe, respectful, inclusive, and nurturing environment fostering responsible citizenship
Effective and diverse practices and opportunities that challenge and engage each student
Collaboration among the entire Rohwer community utilizing our unique strengths