K12 Educator Day V
The Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium would like to invite K12 teachers and administrators to Educator Day V !
- Where: River’s Edge Convention Center (RECC) in St. Cloud, MN.
- When: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Who: Teachers and Administrators
- What: Learn about ArcGIS Online mapping resource tools that are available FREE to all schools, districts and clubs. This event will include training sessions, break-outs, “how-to” learning sessions, breaks, snacks and a free lunch. It will also include up to seven CEUs for teachers AND administrators.
- Keynote: This year’s luncheon speakers will be Brianne Wegter and Melissa Gebhardt from Sauk Rapids-Rice school district. Their luncheon keynote will relate how GIS has affected their teaching and how students are reacting to it.
- Register: The event is FREE but registration is required.
Come with questions and we will try and find answers. We want you to walk out able to bring a GIS curriculum topic directly into your class room.
Morning Agenda highlights
Beginners: Learn how to get started, how to use Geo-inquiries, bring in data to a map, create web maps and more.
Intermediate Users: If you have an ORG account or have used GIS a little this is for you. Topics will include working with Geo-inquiries and story maps. Create your own Geo-inquiry and then create a Presentation. Some analysis topics will be covered as well to move you from just adding data and creating maps, to actually enriching your maps to solve problems, or find solutions.
More Advanced: Joseph Kerski from Esri Education will lead this session and it will delve into spatial analysis topics in ArcGIS Online by using lessons he has created. You will create, analyze, and communicate the results, perhaps using a little Survey123.
Afternoon Agenda highlights
There will be two sessions, back to back, on using Survey123 to collect data and bring it into ArcGIS Online. We will have a session on the new Story map templates. We will also have a session led by Gina Hollinday, high school teacher from Duluth Denfeld on using GIS in the classroom. And, lastly, we will have an open room the entire afternoon where you can come and get questions answered, learn how to get started with an ORG or learn more about bringing in data or using Living Atlas data sets. Many other topics will be available at tables set aside for you to mingle and get your questions answered. Perhaps bring your OWN data and we will try and work with it right there.
If you are interested in connecting with a GIS professional as a mentor, or perhaps just to talk of what help you may need, a separate registration URL is offered. Once you hit “Submit” on the Educator Day registration you will be brought to a last page showing that your registration is complete. Here you will see a geo-mentor registration link. Those wanting to connect will be paired with a mentor that has experience in what you are looking for and you will sit together during lunch. Even if you don’t want to connect at the conference, perhaps you may like to connect later on during the school year. Either way, fill out the survey so we can better help you connect with a mentor. This is NOT a commitment, just a chance to Q&A with a GIS professional who is interested in mentoring.
- Registration is Now Open!
- Substitute reimbursement is available if needed. We don’t want funding to be an issue. If you have funds in the budget to cover a substitute, that is fine. If not, please let us know on the registration page. The GIS/LIS Consortium can offer up to $125 to help cover a substitute. We are expecting a larger turnout than last year, which will be awesome! We also have MORE to offer!
- General questions on Educator Day or substitute reimbursement.
- Scott Freburg, firstname.lastname@example.org