At Miss Peggy's Preschool, our curriculum touches on many aspects of early childhood development:
- Art: Using a creative, process-oriented approach through many media.
- Creative Dramatics/Poetry: Fostering the imaginative expression of students to act out nursery rhymes, animals, and theme based poem reading (often brought to life via finger play).
- Movement: Building individual and team skills through ball handling, exercise, balance, and games.
- Music: Singing, experimenting with various instruments, exploring concepts of pitch, dynamics, beat and tempo in a fun way, sometimes using a guitar or piano.
- Skills Instruction: Playing educational games and using hands-on materials; learning concepts at the individual child’s level (colors, shapes, numbers, letters, writing, and reading).
- Story Time: Reading stories tailored to the skill level of each group and paired with the overall weekly theme.
- Creative Choices: Painting opportunities; building toys, blocks; rotating play buckets filled with different materials, such as water, oatmeal, or cornmeal.
- Discovery: Trying simple science experiments; using hands-on manipulatives, like magnets; exploring nature; occasional cooking.
- Skills Choices: Exploring puzzles; matching activities; sewing cards and other fine-motor coordination.
- Outside Play: Improving gross motor skills through play on swing set and rope ladder; clubhouse play structure; castle; ride-in cars; sandbox; monkey bars; climbing structures.