Year 10 Handbook
Year 10 Program Overview
Students in Year 10 at Mill Park Secondary College undertake a combination of core and elective subjects.
The core subjects that each student studies include English, Mathematics, Humanities and Science.
The purpose of the Year 10 curriculum is to develop students’ skills and enable them to explore their interests in preparation for the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
Choosing Year 10 Electives
Year 10 students have a choice of five free choice electives. When selecting electives, the following conditions apply:
- Choosing a VCE subject and/or Language will count as two electives, as these subjects extend over two semesters (i.e. year long).
- A student will need to choose from at least six different areas of study from the eight offered, these are;
- Arts, English, Humanities, Languages, Mathematics, Physical Education and Health, Science, and Technology.
- A student may not select more than four units from a single area of study.
- Year 10 students may choose a VCE or VET subject to accelerate in, however they may not choose a VET subject offered externally to the school.
English/ EAL English
Science - Environmental Science / Biology
Elective Choice 1
Elective Choice 2
English/ EAL English
Science - Chemistry & Physics
Elective Choice 3
Elective Choice 4
Elective Choice 5
- Above is a general guide for what a Year 10 Program may look like, the structure of your Year 10 program may vary depending on subject choice. For information about the Year 10 SEAL and Accelerated Programs, please click the links below:
Explore our range of Year 10 Subjects below:
Dance Styles & Choreography
Drama & Theatre
Music Technology & Recording
Architecture & Interior Design
Ceramics & Sculpture
Media Film and Television
Media Print Digital Photography
Painting & Drawing
Health & Human Development
Outdoor Education & Environmental Studies
Physical Education for Girls
Year 10 VET Sporting Pathways Program
Computer Aided Design & Manufacturing
Fashion & Design
Systems Engineering - Electrotechnology & Mechanical Design