VET Building & Construction
Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Requirements:
Students and Parents need to be aware that there is an important OHS aspect regarding the protective equipment worn in practical Technology classes. This subject requires students to observe strict OHS controls which may include the tying back of hair and the wearing of overalls, eye protection, hearing protection, dust / particle masks and solid, black, fully enclosed, safe, leather school shoes.
Partially complete Certificate II in Building and Construction
This program aims to:
- provide participants with the knowledge and skills to achieve competencies that will enhance their employments
- prospects in the building and construction or related industries
- enable participants to gain a recognised credential and make a more informed choice of vocation and career path.
- This two year course leads to trade qualification pathways including General Construction: Painting and Decorating, Bricklaying/Blocklaying or Carpentry- Framework/Formwork/Finishing.
Some of the areas covered in this certificate are:
Building and Construction Units 1 - 4
(VBC1 / VBC2 / VBC3 / VBC4)
In Units 1 - 4, students:
- Work safely in the construction industry
- Workplace safety and site induction
- Provide basic emergency life support
- Building structures
- Calculations for the construction industry
- Prepare for work in the construction industry
- Communication skills for the construction industry
- Introduction to scaffolding and working platforms
- Quality principles for the construction industry
- Safe handling and use of plant and selected portable power tools
- Workplace documents and plans
- Further units are offered from the subject’s various elective banks.
There is an associated annual cost applicable to this course.
This fee covers access to printed materials, the building materials used and the completion of supplementary Construction Induction Card (White Card) and First-aid courses. Students are additionally required to complete 80 hours of structured workplace learning throughout the 2 years of the course.
This program is delivered in partnership with The Australian Institute of Education and Training
The Australian Institute of Education and Training (AIET) partners with schools to provide vocational education and training (VET) to students as part of their senior secondary certificate of education.
Our programs are designed in consultation with industry; with a range of flexible learning and assessment strategies that are all designed to provide a real learning framework for students.