The rod (The Nexplanon) is about 2 inches long, is placed under the skin in the upper arm and releases progesterone. Progesterone thickens the mucus at the cervix and thins the lining on the uterus. The rod also prevents the egg from being released. The rod is over 99% effective. It is one of the LARC methods recommended for youth who are having sex.
- It is easy to have inserted
- It works every minute of every day
- Lasts 3 years
- Can make periods lighter or stop them all together - this is normal and healthy
- No pelvic exam is needed
- Irregular spotting or bleeding can happen - this is normal.
- Requires an office visit for insertion and removal
- Might be noticed by friends and family
- It's expensive
- MCPH can offer it for less money or for free