There are many different pills that contain two hormones: estrogen and progesterone. When taken every day, these hormones will prevent an egg from being released. If there is no egg to fertilize, a woman cannot get pregnant. The pill is 91% effective.
- No exam is needed and it can be cheap
- Many choices, so side effects can be controlled
- Can make periods regular, shorter, lighter and less crampy
- Can make acne better
- Might make mood swings better if they are related to periods
- MUST be taken every day, preferably at the same time
- Can cause nausea and make breasts sore but that will get better in 1-2 months
- Miss even one pill and this birth control is not effective for the rest of the month
- Need a prescription
- Some other medications can cause the pill to be less effective
Progesterone Only Pills (POPs)
There is also a pill containing only progesterone. Progesterone will make the mucus in the cervix thick so sperm cannot swim through to the egg. Progesterone also thins the lining on the uterus. It is about 91% effective.
- No exam is needed
- Less breast tenderness and nausea than other pills
- Other medications will not effect this pill
- Can make periods lighter
- MUST be taken every day at the same time
- Can cause irregular bleeding and spotting. This is normal and safe.
- Might cause weight gain and make acne worse
- Might make chronic depression worse
- Requires a prescription