Health News

MISD Health News You Can Use

Sports, energy or flavored water drinks are not good substitutes for plain water. They are made with lots of additives, sugar and caffeine, which can lead to an energy crash and dehydration.

For example, a small cup of coffee has 80–120 mg of caffeine, while a can of an energy drink has 505 mg of caffeine. A 32-oz. sports drink has nearly 50 grams of sugar, compared to a can of soda that has 30 grams.

Stick with water and avoid the caffeine, hidden sugars and sodium. You will quench your thirst and stay hydrated throughout the day! Try to add fruit and vegetables slices to your water to add some infused flavors! Some ideas to try: cucumber, lemon, lime, berries, mint leaves, and kiwi.

Healthy Choices Count! Find 5-2-1-0 resource at the Healthiest State Initiative!

There is no wrong time to enroll in Iowa Medicaid or hawk-I health care coverage.

There are several doors to enrollment. Apply on line, by mail or contact your HACAP representative for more information. 319-739-1510

See what low cost or free health care coverage can do for your family.


  • Please visit with your child's nurse if he/she has a food allergy.
  • Paperwork is available on the individual nurse site that will have to be filled out.
    • Food Allergy Action Plan
    • PS/ES: Diet Modification Form
  • If your child's allergy requires an Epi-Pen/Jr., please contact their nurse.
    • Epi-Pens must be at school by the 1st day of school year.


  • If your child has asthma or seizures, please make sure you get an Asthma Action Plan or Seizure Action Plan filled out and signed by their physician. then return the plan to your child's nurse.


  • Iowa law requires that all medications administered at school must be in the original container.
    • No medication will be administered from envelopes, baggies, or pockets under any circumstances.
    • Please understand this is for your child's protection.
    • Parents will be called to pick up the medicine.
  • All medications (prescription and over the counter) will be administered according to the directions noted on the label.
    • If the current dosage is different from the label, a note from the physician with the appropriate dosage is required.
  • A medication authorization form must be completed and signed by the parent/guardian for any medication that will be administered at school.
    • The permission must include the name of the medication, the dosage, and the time to be given.