Flat Rock Middle School
Parent & Family Engagement
Welcome to the Title 1 Parent Resource Site
Table of Contents
Meet your Parent Liaison, Melissa Lohr
Hello everyone! My name is Melissa Lohr and I am the Parent Liaison at Flat Rock. I am new to the position but I have been an involved parent here for the last 3 years. I’ve held PTO positions, coached the robotics team and volunteered in orchestra. I have a 9th grader at Sandy Creek and a 7th grader at our school. My purpose is to assist you (all our parents and guardians) with the resources and information you may need to help your children succeed in school. I am here to help you navigate this 3 year adventure we call middle school by serving as a link connecting you with our school. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Resource Hub
Or By Appointment
The resources in our Hub are funded by Title 1 and are available for all of our families and teachers to use. Everyone is invited to stop in and check out any of the items we have that can help our students succeed. To schedule an appointment or to request more information about our resource hub please contact, Melissa Lohr at email@example.com
We Have a WAAG (Week At A Glance)
The Week At A Glance is a weekly publication that is emailed out on Friday afternoons by the school and is designed to share the weeks upcoming school wide events and updates on things going on around the school.
We Have Books
I'd love for you to come in and browse our books during the day or set up a time to meet with me outside of my scheduled hours. We have books for parents on raising teenagers, helping with homework and much more. We also have books in Spanish, translation dictionaries and high level lexile picture books.
If you would prefer, you are welcome to scroll through the list of books we have on our shelves and I will happily send the book(s) you are interested in home with your child. All you need to do is click on the button below the listing of books.
We Have Games & Learning Tools
Would you like to borrow an educational game or activity to assist your child with concepts they need a little extra help with? You can check out resources either in person or by completing the form below the list of items located in our Hub.
If you want to help your child at home but don't know what to check out, I can work with your child's teacher to send home appropriate items.
We Have Technology
In our newly renovated Resource Hub we have two computers and a printer available for you to use. We also have TI-36x Pro Scientific Calculators if you need to check one out for your child.
We Have Informational Brochures
The Parent Institute brochures available in our school lobby offer you information on a variety of topics, to help you and your child(ren) navigate school, family and social concerns. If you can't make it into the school and would like brochures sent home on specific topics please look through the list below and then click on the brochure request form.
We Have a School Compact
This Title 1 compact outlines how the parents, the entire school staff, and the students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement as well as how the school and parents will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve the state’s high standards. It is of the utmost importance that communication between teachers and parents take place on an ongoing basis in the form of conferences and/or progress reports.
We Have Parent Workshops
Our Parent Power Series is sponsored by Title 1 and is geared toward informing, empowering and engaging parents in their student’s learning process. We offer workshops throughout the school year. If you have suggestions on Parenting Workshops we should host, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technology Night: Infinite Campus, Blackboard, USA Test Prep, OH MY! A Parents Guide to the Resources Your Child Uses Online (All Parents) (Fall)
- Learning Through Literacy: A Reading and Math Parent Workshop (All Parents) (Fall)
- Heading to High School: What You Need to Know to Feel Prepared for the Transition (8th grade Parents) (Spring)
- High School on the Horizon: Is Your Child Ready? What High School Classes in Middle School Means and Other Useful Long Term Information (7th grade Parents) (Spring)
We Have Meetings
Throughout the year we offer a variety of opportunities for you to come in and meet with us. Do you have a topic that you would like to learn more about? Let's talk about making that happen.
- Parent Teacher Team Meeting, PTTM: This is an opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher to discuss data on reading and math performance and plan for Specific Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely (SMART) goals. (All Parents) (Fall)
- PTTM Milestones Readiness: What you can do to help prepare your child for testing. (All Parents) (Spring)
- Stakeholder Meetings: Review data on student achievement. (All Parents) (Fall, Spring & Summer)
- Coffee & Conversation with Mrs. Bolton: Come in for an opportunity to hear about all the wonderful things going on in our building. (All Parents) (Winter)
Learning Through Literacy: Reading & Math Parent Workshop
Slide Presentations - 9/28/19
Flyers for workshops and meetings are sent out electronically in the Week At A Glance (WAAG) that is sent via Infinite Campus every Friday afternoon.
We Have Parent & Student Orientations
We can appreciate all the feelings associated with being new, whether it is new to our school or a new year with new classes.
- Camp Soaring Eagle: Incoming 6th graders have an opportunity to attend our half day camp offered two different days in July to learn more about the school; through games and activities, practice opening lockers and to ask questions. Parents are invited to hear from our administration and guidance counselors, take a tour of the school and ask questions. (Rising 6th Graders & Parents)(Summer)
- Open House/Curriculum Night: Walk your child's schedule and hear from their teachers and learn about their classroom expectations. (All Parents) (Fall)