Vision MIssion Values
We hold Christian values, grounded in the Lutheran tradition, that all people are children of a benevolent and forgiving God and are worthy of compassion and love. We pray for a just, safe, and compassionate legal system that recognizes the power of people to transform their lives and communities.
- Provide spiritual care to men & women of all faith traditions and beliefs that are incarcerated in the Dane County jail.
- Provide opportunities for various types of worship, prayer, self-reflection, discussion groups, and Bible study within the jail setting.
- Serve as a resource to jail staff, as well as provide spiritual care to staff.
- Provide information and services to assist incarcerated people with a successful return to their communities upon release from jail.
- Inform and educate congregations and community organizations about the services the Madison Area Jail Ministry provides in the Dane County Jail and beyond.
- We believe that Christ's love is available to us all.
- We believe in the power of prayer.
- We honor the humanity and dignity of all people as they are made in the image and likeness of God.
- We believe in forgiveness, reconciliation, and rehabilitation to restore balance to individuals, families, and communities.
- We recognize that trauma plays a role in behavior, decision-making, and self-awareness.
- We recognize that untreated mental illness and addiction play a role in our criminal justice systems.
- We recognize the role that racism plays in our state and county criminal justice systems.
- We recognize the role that poverty plays in our criminal justice systems.