Support Groups for Families
This is a support group for families from all over Wisconsin who have transgender, non-binary, or gender-expansive youth. We meet monthly throughout the school year in Madison, from 6-8pm. This is a safe, affirming space to process all the things you are going through.
Mark your calendars!
Apr. 6 (canceled)
Jun. 1 (Family Picnic & celebration)
Trans Youth Support Group:
We also have a youth group at the same time for our transgender, non-binary, and gender expansive kiddos staffed by community volunteers. Typically, we have trans* youth age 4-16 years of age~ all are welcome!
Transparent Google Group:
Please email Sherie at email@example.com to be invited to the Transparent Google Group. Feel free to use this group to ask questions, share resources, organize events, and more. We are so lucky to have families who are willing to share and support one another- there is a wealth of information to gain from everyone.
What families have to say about the group:
"Thanks for starting this group. Being the parent of a transgender child often brings feelings of isolation, guilt, sadness, desire for information, and fear for the safety of one's child, among others. This TransParent Support Group addresses such felt needs."
"I'm so grateful for this group because it gives me the opportunity to hear from other people who are also trying their best to parent their child through a difficult and unfamiliar experience. It's really comforting to talk to others who have 'been there and done that' and understand what I'm going through and what my kid is going through. And you can quote me on that!"
PFLAG~ Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays ~ Madison
This is the website of Madison Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) Chapter. PFLAG is both a support and advocacy group dedicated to making life better for LGBTQ+ people and their families and friends. All meetings are held on the third Sunday of the month.
Gender Spectrum hosts online groups for pre-teens, teens, parents, caregivers, and other family members. These groups provide participants the opportunity to connect with others, share their experience, and feel the comfort of a supportive community. All groups are hosted online, unless noted otherwise. Please view the information to learn more and sign up for these groups.
Local lgbtqia+ orgs to know about...
- Statewide organization charged with Creating Just Schools for LGBTQ Youth
- Meets 1st Monday of the Month, 6-7:45pm, age 3-18
- Contact Sherie for more details
- Open enrollment in early fall, ages 13-17
Health & Mental Health Resources:
- Pediatric & Transgender Health (PATH) Clinic
- OUT Health & Oriel Medicine
- LGBTQ Primary Services at Group Health Coorperative (GHC)
- Center for Community Healing~ Mental Health Support with LGBTQIA+ focus
- Trans Law Help Wisconsin is a legal aid clinic staffed by volunteer attorneys. They provide assistance to the transgender community by helping individuals obtain corrected identity documents (birth certificates, driver’s licenses, passports, etc.) reflecting their authentic name and gender. At the clinic, participants will receive necessary information about the process for obtaining a name and a gender marker change as well as hands-on assistance with completing the required forms.
other lgbtqia+ orgs to know about...
LGBTQIA+ Supportive Organizations:
- Gender Spectrum
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- GSA Network
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- interACT Youth~ a group run by and for intersex youth
- Make it Better Project
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE)
- Stop Bullying Now project
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation (TYEF)
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA)
- Welcoming Schools
if your child is in crisis
*** IF YOUR CHILD IS SUICIDAL...
- If your child is suicidal, do not leave them alone.
- Try to get them to seek help immediately from an emergency room, physician, or mental health professional.
- Take seriously any comments about suicide or wishing to die. Even if you do not believe they will actually attempt suicide, they are clearly in distress and can benefit from your help in receiving mental health treatment.
- Trevor Project
- 24/7/365 Support for LGBTQIA+ youth. If you are thinking about suicide and in need of immediate support, please call or TrevorChat to connect with a counselor.
- Trevor Lifeline 1-866-488-7386: Crisis intervention & Suicide prevention phone service 24/7/365.
- Trevor Chat: Confidential online instant messaging with a Trevor counselor, 24/7.
- Trevor Text: Text START to 678678. Confidential text messaging with a Trevor counselor.
- Trevor Space: Start meeting LGBTQ friends today! TrevorSpace is an affirming international community for LGBTQ young people ages 13-24. Sign up and start a conversation!
- Trevor Support Center: Find answers to frequently asked questions, and explore resources related to sexual orientation, gender identity and more!
- A peer support service run by trans people, for trans and questioning callers
- Lifeline 1-877-565-8860
- Find and give support, have fun, connect around shared interests and get good information.
- Chat with like-minded peers in live chats designed for you & by you, facilitated by folks who care.
- Join Q Chat for an upcoming group
- 24/7 Help Line 608-251-7273
- Línea de Ayuda 608-258-2567
- Help Line: 608-251-4445 or 800-747-4045; If you are in immediate danger, call 911
- 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)