Pet transportation rides
Increase your daytime rides!
Lyft is working with Petco to provide pet transportation to and from grooming appointments, in an effort to increase your daytime rides. Here's an opportunity to help people and their pets get access to transportation they need, while increasing your rides and earnings!
Please read the onboarding below and take the survey in order to be eligible.
Pet transportation Pilot
What is it?
Lyft is partnering with Petco to introduce pet transportation rides! This pilot partnership is the first of its kind. Here's an opportunity to help pet parents transport their furry kids to and from their grooming salon appointments, while increasing your daytime rides and earnings.
How does it work?
- You will receive a normal ride request, except:
- There's no passenger Picture
- The first name will start with "Petco:" followed by the name. For example "Petco: Moose" (see image on the right for how it will appear on your app)
- Once you mark "Arrive" at the pickup location, you will receive a text message from the store with pick-up/drop-off instructions or notes about the pet.
- Petco requires that you:
- Park your car and wait up to 5 minutes for the pet parent to put the pet carrier in the vehicle OR please get out of the vehicle and assist the pet parent.
- Check your text messages for special instructions (make sure to check often!).
- Once the pet carrier is in the backseat of your vehicle, please ensure the carrier is seat-belted in.
- Before driving away, confirm with the pet parent that this is the correct dog and ask if there are additional details you need to know about the pet's behavior (see below for more info)
- When the carrier is in the car, mark "Picked Up" and drive to the destination.
"Petco:" + name is key identifier
- Before driving, the carrier should be seat-belted in the back seat of the car.
- Your vehicle should be smoke and vape free at all times!
- Please maintain a consistent temperature in the car between 60-80 degrees fahrenheit
- Windows must be up at all times during transport.
- Your music volume is at a reasonable level so the dog can be heard.
Once you've arrived, please ensure to verify the following information:
- Identify yourself
- Verify the pet parent's name
- Pet's name
- Drop-off destination
Helpful Safety Tips
- The dog should be wearing a collar or harness with an ID tag
- Please ensure the pet is not displaying any obvious signs of distress
- Make sure the carrier is securely fastened in the vehicle and is not damaged! The carrier should not be soft-sided and is made completely of wire/metal.
- The top of the carrier should be labeled with the pet parent's contact info
- Please only transport one dog per carrier
- If you do not feel confident the pet can be safely transported in the carrier due to the condition of the carrier, please decline/cancel the ride and contact the La Brea Petco Grooming Salon at 858-692-4047.
- If the pet parent is not home when you arrive to drop off the pet, please immediately contact Petco and take the pet back to the La Brea Petco Grooming Salon at 200 S. La Brea Ave Los Angeles, CA 90036.
- If needed, you may be asked to safely help take the carrier to or from your vehicle, the pet must remain in the carrier at all times.
- Please do not accept another ride/fare until the pet has been accepted by a Petco employee or the pet parent.
- At no point during transportation of dog, is Lyft driver allowed to offer treats or other food to a dog.
In case of emergency:
- Immediately transport the pet to the nearest emergency veterinary hospital and contact the La Brea Petco Grooming Salon at 858-692-4047.
- Nearest Vet to Grooming Salon: Hancock Park Veterinary Clinic at 5178 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036; Phone number: (323) 936-6952
- Present the Veterinary Hospital/Clinic with the Service Authorization form so the dog can be treated. Within 24 hours, write a detailed statement describing the scenario
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How will I know it's a pet transportation ride?
You'll know it's a pet transportation ride when the passenger's first name includes the word "Petco:" (see screenshot above). Park the car, mark "Arrive" and look at your text messages for special instructions.
What if I don't feel comfortable transporting an animal?
Use your best judgement and only do what you and the pet parent feel comfortable with. Please only sign-up if you do feel comfortable transporting dogs.
Do I have to pay for parking?
No! There will be a designated spot for you to park your vehicle at the Petco location with a Lyft sign next to it.
What if I don't want to be part of the pilot program anymore?
No problem, just send us an email at: email@example.com! We'll make sure you're removed ASAP. We appreciate any feedback to help us improve the program for drivers and riders.