LEONIA HIGH SCHOOL
2018 SUMMER READING PROGRAM
Directions and Expectations:
Research shows that the ability to read critically improves with consistent practice. Thus, students who read during the summer more likely will improve their ability to read than those who don’t. To help students improve as readers, Leonia High School has developed a summer program which gives them considerable choice in selecting a book on a topic which genuinely interests them. Our summer reading program aims to promote literacy, improve academic achievement, build vocabulary, and encourage reading for enjoyment.
Students will select a book on the list from one of the subjects on their 2018-2019 course schedule. The reading list will be available on the LHS website. During the summer, students are to read and encouraged to annotate the book of their choice, taking notes in the margins, highlighting, and using a reading log to record thoughts and questions about subject, character, setting, plot, and main ideas to prepare for an informal oral assessment in September. If the book is borrowed from a library, students should use post-its instead of writing in the book.
During the second week of September, students will meet with a teacher for a brief discussion about the book—a Book Chat.
- Students can gain or lose as many as five points toward the first marking period grade for the subject corresponding to their choice of book or for English. Students who do not choose to read or earn a minus 5 will lose five points from their first marking period grade in
- Any student who selects a Physical Education book receives positive or negative points in Health for the marking period in which the student is scheduled for Health.
- Please note: books on the summer reading list do not substitute for reading assigned for Advanced Placement classes.
Students will select a summer reading book electronically on the LHS website on or before Friday, May 25, 2018. The following important conditions also should be noted:
- Students who enroll at LHS after Moving Up Day in June prior to August 1st must inform Dr. Bertolini before August 1 at email@example.com.
Students who wish to change their reading selection during the summer must inform Dr. Bertolini before August 1 at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student wants to change a book during the summer, the book must still be available to select. The only way to ensure a new book is available is to email Dr. Bertolini immediately and receive a confirmation of the book change directly from Dr. Bertolini.
- No student may change a book after August 1—no exceptions will be permitted.
- Students who register after August 1st and prior to August 21st will have until September 30th to complete their summer reading.
- Students who register after August 21st will not have a summer reading assignment and/or chat.
- No more than 12 students may choose any one book.