April 18th - April 28th
Thursday - 4/18/19
- JROTC Red Knight Brigade Change of Command
- Baseball vs. Ida Baker (Away): 4:00 pm -9:00 pm @ Ida Baker High School
- Softball vs. Ida Baker (Away): 4:00 pm -9:00 pm @ Ida Baker High School
Friday - 4/19/19
- Good Friday Schools and District Office will be closed
Saturday - 4/20/19
- No Events
Sunday - 4/21/19
- No Events
Monday - 4/22/19
- Easter Observance - Schools will be closed
Tuesday - 4/23/19
- Baseball vs. Cape Coral (Home): 4:00 pm -9:00 pm @ NFMHS
- Softball vs. Cape Coral (Home): 4:00 pm -9:00 pm @ NFMHS
Wednesday - 4/24/19
- Senior Awards: 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm @NFMHS Auditorium
- Softball vs. Charlotte (Home) Varsity Only: 7:00 pm -9:00 pm @ Labelle High School
Thursday - 4/25/19
- B/G Track: FHSAA 3A Region 3: All Day @ Charlotte High School
- Blood Drive: 7:00 am - 1:30 pm @ NFMHS Gym Lobby
Friday - 4/26/19
- Unified Track Meet: All Day NFMHS Track
- JROTC Red Knight Brigade Change of Command: 8:00 am - 11:00 am @ NFMHS
- Grad Bash 2019: 12:00 pm - 6:00 am @ Universal Studios
- JROTC Lee County Marksmanship Competition: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm @ Island Coast High School
- Baseball vs. Cape Coral (Away): 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm @ Cape Coral High School
- Softball (Varsity Only) vs. Riverdale (Home): 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm @ NFMHS
Saturday - 4/27/19
- Grad Bash 2019: 12:00 pm - 6:00 am @ Universal Studios
- JROTC Lee County Marksmanship Competition: 7:00 am - 3:00 pm @ Island Coast High School
- B/G Track - Regional Meet : 9:30 am - 2:00 pm @ Charlotte High School
Sunday - 4/28/19
- No Events
Academic and Testing Calendar
- Red Knight Community...soon we will begin the last quarter of the 2018-2019 school year. That means many of our students will engaged with high stakes tests. In an effort to better prepare those students and to ensure that they have the correct tools for successful testing we are asking the community for calculator donations. Those calculators include TI-84, TI 89-TI-30 and TI30XS. If you happen to have one of these calculators and wish to donate it we would be sincerely grateful. To make your calculator contributions easy we’ve created a drop box that will be manned by one of our SAC parents...Mr. Patrick Crissy. Graphing calculators are a necessity in higher-level math classes such as Calculus AB/BC, Statistics, Dual Enrollment Math, and AICE Math. So know that your contributions will be assisting with the academic enrichment of North High students and enhance their respective testing challenges. If you have any questions, feel free to contact any SAC officer or Mr. McKeever (Asst. Principal).
WHILE WAITING AT THE BUS STOP:
- When waiting for the bus stop make sure you are at least three giant steps, or six feet away from the street.
- Never stand or sit near the street when waiting at your stop. Bus stops are not places to run or play.
- Wear clothing that makes it easy for drivers to see you. Bright colors like yellow, orange and white are great!
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Put down phones and take out your earbuds so you can hear and see what’s happening around you.
- If a trusted adult (parent, grandparent, friend) has not visited your bus stop lately, ask them to come one morning or afternoon. Introduce them to your bus driver and show them how you stay safe while you wait for the bus!
- If you drop something and it goes near or under the bus, never go get it. Tell your driver so he or she can help you.
- Never walk behind your school bus. If you have to walk in front of your bus, make sure you walk five giant steps, or 10 feet, ahead so your driver can see you.
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the doors are open before approaching the bus.
- Never talk to strangers at the bus stop. Always alert your bus driver as soon as possible if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.
WHILE ON THE BUS:
- Do not speak loudly or make loud noises that could distract your driver.
- Always buckle up!
- Remain in your seat for the entire ride and keep the aisle clear!
Pay It Forward
- Christian Zavalaga, class of 2017, is currently a Junior at FGCU and working part time. When he was a senior, he was awarded a $100 scholarship from NHS at Senior Awards. It had such a heartfelt emotional impact on him and he attributes North Fort Myers High School for having a tremendous positive trajectory on his life that he has created a new Senior Scholarship called “Pay It Forward.” This scholarship is designed as a way for fellow NFMHS alumni and families of alumni to give back to a school that made a difference in their life and support a fellow Red Knight with post-secondary education. To date he has made three $100 donations (as a college student who is only working part time)!
- The recipient each year will be a senior who has done well academically while also being involved in school activities with a heavy emphasis on community service…a student with a genuine heart, who is hard-working and dedicated to reaching out to help others on a regular basis.
- If you and/or a family member is a fellow Red Knight who attributes North to helping you get where you are today….“Pay It Forward” to this senior scholarship fund. Contributions in any amount (even $20 from multiple people adds up quickly) can be made to the school prior to April 19.
- Be sure you are checking out our scholarship newsletter, updated monthly. You can find it here: https://nfm.leeschools.net/our_students/collegeandcareer
Bright Futures Scholarship General Reminder
- Please be aware for the bright futures scholarship; one component has volunteer hours. You must have these volunteer hours pre-approved by your alpha counselor and have the appropriate paperwork filled out for them to count towards Bright Futures. Further, ALL volunteer hours MUST be completed by your graduation date. Bright Futures application opened October 1st! Be sure to apply ASAP at the following link: https://www.floridastudentfinancialaidsg.org/SAPHome/SAPHome?url=home
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid opened October 1st. Apply here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa . This is required for students furthering their education after high school. Priority deadline for many schools is October 31st but be sure to check with the university you are applying to for their priority deadline.
Florida State University Scholarship:
- Current seniors that have been accepted into FSU please go to http://www.fortmyersnoles.fsu.alumnispaces.com/.
- And apply for potential scholarship opportunities by April 29th.
University of Florida Scholarship:
- Seniors that are going to UF!!! SEE BELOW FOR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY!!!! Must be admitted to UF and be in the top 15% of your graduating class this year....
- The University of Florida (UF) offers the Paul G. & Harriette C. Franklin Merit Scholarship to a student who has been admitted to UF, and has graduated from one of the public high schools in Lee County, Florida within the top 15% of their class. Please share this information with your students that are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Eligible students may access more information and the electronic application at our website at: http://undergrad.aa.ufl.edu/scholarships/undergraduate-scholarships/. Please read the selection criteria carefully. Students will be prompted to enter their GatorLink User ID and password to begin the online application. The deadline to apply is July 1, 2019.
- The Office of Undergraduate Affairs Scholarship Committee will review all applications and select the scholarship recipients. Notifications will be distributed no later than July 15, 2019.
Kappa Alpha Psi Educational
- Kappa Alpha Psi Educational Scholarship Opportunity: High school senior, US Citizen, able to provide written acceptance to an accredited 4 year college or university, must submit all required attachments with application. Deadline is April 22nd. (I attached the application to email). (See Attachment)
- Brooks Law Group Scholarship opportunities for seniors: Deadline is May 3rd: https://www.brookslawgroup.com/about/community/community-outreach/
- Parents, Students, and community are all welcome. Meetings are all held in the JROTC room G110 at North Fort Myers High School (besides the Baseball field). Food and Drinks will be served.
1. May 15th 2019 @ 6:30pm
2. July 17th 2019 @ 6:30pm
- Debate Club meet every other Friday in E128 from 1:45 pm – 2:30 pm. Check the Google Class Code for possible upcoming debate topics: uyw96hh
Game Development Club
- Game Development Club meet every Tuesday January 29th from 1:45-2:30 in room M112. with Ms. Monastra. Please arrange for pickup at the proper time.
Florida Heiken Children’s Vision Program, LLC
- Apply for No Cost Eye Exam and Glasses on the HEIKEN PORTAL: WWW.FLORIDAHEIKEN.ORG (See Attachment)
Parent Awareness Workshop
- Cape Coral High School is hosting a West Zone Marijuana Parent Awareness Workshop hosted by Student Services. (See Attachment)
- April 25th – Blood Drive (Students can sign up to donate at lunch on April 17th and 23rd)
- April 25th – “A Knight with the Candidates” in the Gym from 5-7 p.m. Required for students running for SGA officer positions for next year.
- April 26th – SGA Candidates campaign during lunch shifts
SAT Registration Deadlines & Upcoming Test Dates
- Deadline: April 5th, 2019 - Test Date: May 4th, 2019
- Deadline: May 3rd, 2019 - Test Date: June 1st, 2019
ACT Registration Deadlines & Upcoming Test Dates
- Deadline: March 8th, 2019 - Test Date: April 13th, 2019
- Deadline: May 3rd, 2019 - Test Date: June 8th, 2019
- Deadline: June 14th, 2019 - Test Date: July 13th, 2019
Fundraiser and Service Drives
The Knights in Shining Armor
- The Knights in Shining Armor (The Young Gentleman’s Club) will have their first club meeting on Thursday, April 11th from 1:45-2:30. Members will meet in Mr. Ashby’s Class.
NFMHS Art Department
- 1st place Hailey Curry
- 3rd place Nathan Asmonda
- 2nd place Keishla Dejesus
- 2nd place tie Katie Wienert
- 1st place Patrick Walker
- 2nd place Cydney Muri
- 3rd place tie Kassidy Grant/ Tate Williams
- Arianna Bracero
- Jana Ziegler
Best of Show
- Patrick Walker
NFMHS Music Department
- The NFMHS Music Department presents "BARNUM"
- April 11, 12, 13 at 7pm
- April 14 at 2pm
- $5 students & North staff / $10 adults
- Tickets can be purchased at door (cash/check) or online at https://gofan.co/apps/school/FL16976/Performing-Arts
- There will be a pre-show carnival 1 hour before show complete with games, food, and fun!
Class of 2019
Here are some upcoming events for seniors
- Senior Awards (4/24/19) at 7:00 PM in the NFMHS Auditorium
- Grad Bash (4/26/19) from 1:00 PM on Friday to 6:00 AM on Saturday will depart from the NFMHS Cafe
- Last Regular Day for Seniors (5/6/19)
- Senior Final Exams (5/7-10/19) *Seniors will be exempt from finals if they have an A/B average for the course
- Cap and Gown Pick Up (5/10/19) from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM in the NFMHS Auditorium Lobby *All fees and fines will need to be cleared
- Graduation Rehearsal (5/16/19) from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at Grace Church on Hancock *Must attend practice to participate in the actual graduation ceremony
- Baccalaureate (5/16/19) at 6:30 PM at First Christian Church at 2061 McGregor Blvd
- Graduation (5/18/19) at 7:00 PM at Alico Arena on FGCU’s Campus
Also flowers will be for sale at the graduation from Sue Ellen’s and a portion of the money will come back to the school
Class of 2020
- Now till 3/22: Custom Cups Sale (See Attachment)
- “A Knight Under the Stars” Prom is coming up on April 6th 7-11pm at the Burrough’s Home. Prom tickets will be on sale for Seniors between March 11 to March 15 for $25 in the Media Center during lunch. Juniors and guest will be able to purchase their tickets between March 25 to March 29 for $50. Before purchasing tickets you need to clear your fines and fees in the Media Center with Ms. Urbanowicz. If you have a guest you need to complete the guest form, which will be located the google classroom or in the Media Center. If you are writing a check please address it to North Fort Myers High School. Thank you!
Class of 2021
- The Class of 2021 is hosting a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Dozen fundraiser! For $9.00 you get a coupon, redeemable at the Fort Myers location, for one dozen doughnuts. Proceeds will be used for the prom of 2020! Please contact Mrs. Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to place an order!
National Honor Society
- National Honor Society is implementing a Fundraiser for Muscular Dystrophy Association. The fundraiser is during lunch, and students that donate $1.00 will sign their name on a MDA Shamrock, and receive a cookie. https://www.mda.org/shamrocks
- Garden Club & Mrs. Hanson's Ag classes have been building garden beds, touring community aquaponics, hydroponics & Prairie Pines to educate ourselves for the Hydroponics set up & garden development near the cafe.
Elementary Science Olympiad
- Elementary Science Olympiad will be hosting a tournament on Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 8a-4p. Student volunteers are needed! This qualifies for volunteer service hours and Bright Futures, so see Mrs. Johnson in S211 (email@example.com) or Christopher Perez if you’re interested!
- Our ACCESS students will be heading to Headpinz Bowling Lanes on April 10th for a celebration.
Parent and Community Involvement Opportunities
School Advisory Council (SAC)
The School Advisory Council (SAC) is a team of people representing various segments of the community: parents, teachers, students, administrators, support staff, business/industry people and other interested community members. The purpose of SAC is to support the school improvement plan and review relevant data, identify problem areas, develop improvement strategies, and monitor their implementation (School Advisory Council, 1999).
SAC Meeting Dates
- April 16, 2019
*Meetings are at 6 pm in the North Media Center
SAC Meeting Minutes
- SAC Meeting Minutes 04-24-18
- SAC Meeting Minutes 08-28-18
- SCA Meeting Minutes 11-6-18
- SCA Meeting Minutes 2-5-19
- STAR Reading HS Achievement Levels.pdf (197.1 KBs)
- Parent's_Guide_to_STAR_Assessments.pdf (500.8 KBs)
The North Fort Myers School Advisory Committee (SAC) is working with school administration and staff to help improve communication with our parents. Here are a few things we are working on:
- Weekly Newsletter: This publication and its format is the result of a parent suggestion to inform parents of upcoming events, meetings, and general dates.
- New Help Button: Please use the link our webmaster created on the NFMHS home page to request help or report issues regarding the website. Can't find what a topic you are looking for, request an additional resource or report outdated content? Click here!
- Monthly Workshops with Andy Jeter: Recently we have implemented monthly workshops with our webmaster, Andy Jeter to provide input and suggestions about the website.
- Parent Dashboard: Our latest endeavor with Mr. Jeter is to create a single page of information with links encompassing all the information a parent might need to know.
If you want to get involved, we would love to have you! Please contact Doug McKeever DouglasIM@leeschools.net or come to our next meeting.
As per our conversation last night at the SAC meeting when I mentioned that the school messenger service is not allowing to change or add phone numbers.
The documentation provided by the district shows that there’s a field that allows you to add phone numbers it’s on page 9 of the following pdf: