In order to accommodate Vandegrift students who choose to pursue online correspondence courses as an academic option, the counseling office has set aside several dates throughout the school year for students to take a credit by exam (CBE) or the exam that follows the correspondence course in order for them to earn credit. If these specific dates do not work for a student’s schedule, he/she will need to test at the University of Texas Testing Center.
Please see the "Pursuing Correspondence and Credit by Exams" document for more information.
Accredited Institutions for Correspondence Coursework:
University of Texas High School correspondence courses (Contact: email@example.com or 512-232-5000)
Students pursuing credits over the summer (outside of LISD summer school)
All transcripts/grade reports for courses completed over the summer must be submitted to the VHS Guidance Office by August 2, 2018 in order for students to modify their 2018-2019 schedule. VHS will offer one summer testing date for students pursuing correspondence work (through Texas Tech UISD or the University of Texas High School programs) on July 26th from 1:30pm - 4:30pm. Please sign up in Naviance (college visits -> CBE/Correspondence Exam) if you are wanting to test on this date. Please know that you need to finish the course and order your exam at least one week prior to this date to ensure that the test can get to us.
Please note 2018-2019 Correspondence/CBE testing dates and times:
- November 6, 2018 - 1:00pm
- February 5, 2019 - 1:00pm
- April 23, 2019 - 1:00pm - ***This is the last opportunities for seniors to test in time to receive results for graduation!***
- June 3, 2019 - 8:30am
* If these dates do not work for a student’s schedule or a student would like to sit for a world language exam, he/she may request to take the exam at the UT testing center
*An additional fee will apply
Please note that we advise taking your correspondence exams/CBEs by April 23rd in order to earn credit and ensure graduation requirements are met. We have found that exam grade reporting towards the end of the school year takes longer as many students are trying to test at this time. If you have not tested by the April 23rd date, you risk not walking at the graduation ceremony.
How to sign up to take the exam at VHS:
Please complete the following requirements when the correspondence course has been completed and students are ready to take the exam:
- Students will request the exam be sent from the correspondence/CBE institution to the counselor listed below. If requesting an online version of the exam, you need to make the request at least 1 week in advance. If you are requesting a paper exam, please make the request 2 weeks in advance.
- Students will then sign up in Naviance on the correspondence/CBE testing registration date. You will receive a reminder pass from the counseling office on the day of the exam.
- Inform you teacher that you will be missing a class in order to take your CBE. You are responsible for making up any missed classwork. Please do your best to avoid missing tests or quizzes.
- Please show up promptly to the Counseling office at your testing date and time. Once finished with the exam, you will be released back to class.
Contact information to enter when requesting an exam:
Counselor: Kandice Detlefsen
Counselor Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Address: Vandegrift HS 9500 McNeil Drive Austin, TX 78750