How does taking the TSI Assessment help me?
- Taking the TSI can save you money. By scoring high enough on this test, you may be able to bypass developmental courses when you start college.
- Taking the TSI can save you time. By being able to bypass developmental courses, you can go right into courses that apply to your degree.
- For prospective Dual Credit students, the TSI will allow you to take college-level courses.
What does the test cost?
Each student can test through LISD one time for free.
How long does the TSI Assessment take?
The TSI Assessment is an untimed test - you have as long as you need.
The average time to complete all three sections of the test is 3-5 hours.
What do I need to bring on the test day?
- Photo ID (school ID or driver's license)
- Materials will be provided (scratch paper, pencils, calculators are embedded in the test program); you may not bring your own calculator.
- Cell phones and devices that can access the internet are strictly prohibited. They must be turned off and stowed.
- Drinks and snacks are allowed, which students may access during breaks.
How do I test at ACC?
- Know your TSI status. Which areas do you need to test (Reading/Writing/Math). Ask your counselor or Mrs. Spradling if you are not sure.
- Complete the ACC TSI Pre Assessment Activity online and bring printed completion certificate to test day.
- Pay the testing fee: Unless exempt from a section, all first time testers will be required tro take the full test ($29); if exempt in a section, bring a copy of your scores with you to the test. Purchase TSI ticket.
- Schedule your test: Please call the campus for more information. Seating is not guaranteed.
- Test Day: Arrive 15 minutes prior to test start time and BRING: official photo ID, Pre-Assessment Activity completion certificate, testing fee receipt.
When will I get my scores?
The test is scored immediately upon completion and students may request an unofficial copy of scores for advising purposes and should keep a copy to reference.
How do I interpret my scores?
Following completion of the test, you may see your counselor or Mrs. Spradling to review your scores. You can also take your scores to the college of your choice for advising.
What if I fail the test?
- First of all, there is no "pass" or "fail". You either meet standard and can bypass developmental courses, or you don't meet standard and are placed into Reading, Writing, and/or Math courses that match your skill level.
- Seniors can retest at an LISD high school campus for free, but must provide documentation that they have completed test remediation/preparation. Dual credit students can retest at an ACC campus for a fee ($29 for full test or $10 per section).
How can I send my TSI Assessment scores to the college I am attending?
- The college may accept scores in a sealed envelope, but most will require you to complete a consent/authorization for them to retrieve the scores electronically through the online Accuplacer system. Here is ACC's authorization form to retrieve scores from the TSI (Accuplacer) database.
- Dual Credit students' scores are submitted directly to the Dual Credit office by Mrs. Spradling on behalf of students.
- Students may request access to scores by completing this TSI Score Report Request Form.