Class of 2018
COOL Week Application
To participate in COOL Week, all interested students will need to complete the online application available as a Google Form in Naviance. The application helps in matching skills / interests with a work site. Applications are made available September 21-30, 2017.
Important Class of 2018 COOL Week Dates
- August 3 - September 12: COOL Week overview during Senior meetings in English Classes.
- September 21: COOL Week application link available via Naviance, opens 8:00pm.
- September 30: Deadline for application submission
- October 11: Mandatory Pre-Orientation meeting during Senior Summit Day
- October 20: Deadline for Parent Permission Form and Career Resume due to Mrs. Wood
- October - December: Transition Coordinator recruits businesses, meets with students to discuss placements.
- January 24 (during PRIDE Time): Students attend training to receive COOL Week Assignment details, meet team members, exchange contact information, work out transportation issues, etc.
- February 5 - 9: Students attend COOL Week, COOL School or COOL Days
- February 16: COOL Week wrap-up during PRIDE Time; students turn in COOL Week Thank You letters and complete evaluations.
What is so great about COOL Week?
Dr. Champion, former LISD Superintendent, put it best in the January 27, 2009 edition of the Hill Country News:
“Finally, one of the crown jewels of the LISD college-and-career-readiness program is Career Opportunities On Location (COOL) Week. Simply put, COOL Week is a time when students are encouraged to spend a week job shadowing onsite in an industry where they have an interest in pursuing a career. The experience culminates in a presentation, which involves problem-solving and teamwork skills.
A favorite saying around LISD is, “sometimes it’s just as important to know what you don’t want to do, as it is to know what you do want to do. College is an expensive place to find out.” COOL Week allows students to explore interests that they have and to “try on” careers before they enter college or trade schools. The major goal is for students to become aware of the aptitudes, education and training required to be successful in their chosen profession. COOL Week is a fabulous learning tool for students who take full advantage of it.”