Class of 2019
About COOL Week
COOL Week is a structured, week long, work-based experience open to all 12th grade students in Leander ISD. To learn more, visit the LISD COOL Week website. This year, COOL Week will take place February 18-22, 2019. Check out the COOL Week Presentation to the right.
Past LISD COOL Week Business Partners as posted on the LISD Cool Week webpage.
COOL Week Application
To participate in COOL Week, all interested students will need to complete the online application which helps to match skills & interests with a work site. The application will open September 14, 2018 at 8:00am and close September 21, 2018 at 4:00pm
Students who have their own placement, contact information, etc. Please click on the link below to complete the form. Deadline for submission is January 15th.
I HAVE MY OWN COOL Week PLACEMENT - this is for any student who has confirmation from a business contact that has said "YES" to COOL Week.
Important COOL Week Dates & Deadlines
Failure to meet the due dates & deadlines as listed below will result in removal from COOL Week consideration
- August 27: COOL Week overview for Parents at Senior Parent Night (6:00 PM)
- September 4-5: COOL Week overview during Senior meetings in English Classes.
- September 11: Student informational Meeting held during Pride Time, students must sign-up through the PORTAL, "COOL Week Info Mtg".
- September 14: COOL Week application opens (will be linked here) 8:00am
- September 21: Deadline for application submission (4:00pm)
- October 10: Mandatory Pre-Orientation meeting during Senior Summit Day (exceptions include: SAT Testing or pre-arranged College Visit)
- October 12: Parent Permission Form Due by 4pm to Mrs. Wood
- October 19: Resume Due by 4pm to Google Classroom
- October 22 - November 16: Schedule individual meeting with Mrs. Wood
- October - December: Mrs. Wood recruits businesses, meets with students to discuss placements.
- February 5 (during PRIDE Time): Students attend training to receive COOL Week Assignment details, meet team members, exchange contact information, work out transportation issues, etc.
- February 18-22: COOL WEEK!
- TBD: COOL Week wrap-up during PRIDE Time; students turn in COOL Week Thank You letters and complete evaluations.
What is so great about COOL Week?
Dr. Champion, former LISD Superintendent, put it best in the January 27, 2009 edition of the Hill Country News:
“Finally, one of the crown jewels of the LISD college-and-career-readiness program is Career Opportunities On Location (COOL) Week. Simply put, COOL Week is a time when students are encouraged to spend a week job shadowing onsite in an industry where they have an interest in pursuing a career. The experience culminates in a presentation, which involves problem-solving and teamwork skills.
A favorite saying around LISD is, “sometimes it’s just as important to know what you don’t want to do, as it is to know what you do want to do. College is an expensive place to find out.” COOL Week allows students to explore interests that they have and to “try on” careers before they enter college or trade schools. The major goal is for students to become aware of the aptitudes, education and training required to be successful in their chosen profession. COOL Week is a fabulous learning tool for students who take full advantage of it.”