The Algebra Guy
Mr. Flanagan is returning to Heritage High School to begin his twenty-third year in Virginia public schools and is excited to collaborate with the Special Education and Mathematics Departments. He comes from a family of educators and instills the importance of a strong education in his students and children. Mr. Flanagan earned his bachelor's degree from Old Dominion University and completed his Master's in Education at George Mason University shortly after. After fourteen years as a teacher and educational diagnostician, Mr. Flanagan returned to school and earned his administrative endorsement from George Washington University. He served as an Assistant Principal at Kempsville High School for five years in Virginia Beach before returning with his family to Northern Virginia where he grew up. Mr. Flanagan is excited to have the opportunity to help his Pride learn Algebra I at Heritage High School
Heritage High School
520 Evergreen Mills Road SE Leesburg, VA 20175
Course expectations are posted on each of my corresponding Google Classroom websites for Algebra I, Algebra Series Part I and Algebra Series Part II.
Homework will be provided occasionally and not on a routine basis. Homework is intended to be an extension of learning which utilizes critical thinking. It is expected that students will complete homework that is provided on a consistent basis. Notes and practice materials are available on my Google Classroom site along with most keys for reference.
It is my goal to provide my students with a high quality education each and every day. To get the most of this, they must be willing to work hard, take risks, and have fun along the way. The following information is provided to help students be as successful as possible.
- Absence Policy: If students are absent from class, they must see me when they return so that we can get them the work that was missed. They can check my school Google Classroom website for the materials. They will be able to print work directly so that they are prepared when they return. I will have copies of all missed work in class when they return also.
- Google Classroom: Students are provided with a course code to log into Mr. Flanagan's Google Classroom which will provide them with the class notes, classwork as well as corresponding keys.
Google Classroom Codes for Students
Algebra 1 Part 1 (Block 7B) laiu6g
Algebra 1 Part 2 (Blocks 1A and 8B) 1m8dts
Algebra 1 (Block 6B) 4iiel4
Parents please email me and I will add you as a guardian so you have access to information posted on my Google Classroom site as well.
- Extra-Help: I will be available for extra-help before school. Students must remember to see me prior to leaving class to arrange a scheduled time to meet. If they are having trouble, they must notify me early! Students need to be proactive so that they are able to stay current with the work! Students are also encouraged to report to the Math Lab during their Study Blocks as an additional resource when they need assistance.
- Technology Used: Students are expected to bring their Chromebook charged to class each block. We will be utilizing the DESMOS online graphing calculator application throughout the year along with a number of other programs to assess their understanding and explore the Algebra I curriculum.
- Grading and Assessment: In Phoenix, assignments are recorded as formative assessments and summative assessments. Formative assessments will be used to measure student growth to determine areas of need and enrichment. These formative assessments are used at times towards a student’s grade. Most of the formative assessments will be communicated on a 4-point scale (4,3,2,1) or a Satisfactory(S)/ Unsatisfactory(U) scale. Examples of formative assessments may include warm-ups, homework, exit tickets, etc. Summative assessments count toward a student’s grade and may include: projects, quizzes, tests, spiral assessments, quarterly cumulative assessments, etc. You will see these as points, percentage, and letter grade in Phoenix.
- Cell Phones: Students will occasionally need their cell phones for class, but must keep them put away until given permission to have them out. I do allow students to utilize their phones to listen to their music during assessments and often while working on individual assignments.
- Communication: Please use this Google webpage to obtain my contact information and a link to my Google Classroom webpages. My Google Classroom sites contains the syllabus, classroom assignments and notes. Parents may expect that I will make contact home to recognize positive behaviors as well as offer corrective feedback and support. Parents are encouraged to contact me early if there are academic or behavioral concerns regarding their student. Parents are also encouraged to regularly access Phoenix ParentVue to monitor student progress in class.
- Mr. Flanagan's Class Schedule
Block A1 - Algebra 1 Series Part 2 (Rm. 315)
Block A2 - Study Block (Rm. 315)
Block A3 - Algebra 1 (Rm. 301) with Mrs. Parilla
Block A4 - Planning (Rm. 315)
Block B5 - Planning (Rm. 315)
Block B6 - Algebra 1 (Rm. 315)
Block B7 - Algebra 1 Series Part 1 (Rm. 315)
Block B8 - Algebra 1 Series Part 2 (Rm. 315)